centrifugal clutch

GoldenMotor.com

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I installed a centrifugal clutch I mess up the key way that I tried to cut out so I took the key way out and just bolted it down and today the the regular clutch would not disengage for some reason is it slipping from the centrifugal clutch or is it the regular clutch acting up.When it would do it is when i went to start it and I would let the clutch lever out to start it and nothing then I kept pulling and letting go of the lever noting then I stood up to pedal fast and it would turn the motor over on it on then.So is that the centrifugal clutch slipping on the shaft or the regular clutch locking up?

hmiwb

Oct 6, 2009
Missouri
It's my understanding that centrifugal clutches and bump starting are incompatible. If you put a centrifugal clutch on then you have to use a pull or rope starter from that point on. The clutch is disengaged until the motor reaches an rpm above idle.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
You should definitely be able to pedal start your china girl with a centrifugal clutch. Your hand clutch needs to continue to be operable as it was before installing the cent clutch for pedal starting. I only use the clutch lever during pedal starting. Once the motor is running, I don't need to use the clutch lever.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
well here's what I'm trying to say is the bike was running and I forgot to turn the fuel valve on and it ran a few minute and died,so I flip it on while it was still moving and pull the clutch lever in and let it go and it should turn over the engine but nothing happen then started to pedal it faster and it turn over engine on it own no clutch lever pull in.So is that the way it should be?

frozenveinz

Sep 25, 2011
Washington
It sounds like your clutch is slipping slipping then grabbing and going. Tightening up your clutch should solve the problem.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Mar 19, 2012
Garden City, Kansas
i am considering getting a Centrifugal Clutch for my 66cc 2 stroke bicle and was wondering if...
1.you could still pedal start it?
2.you could still use the standard run of the mill sproket for the rearend or if you would have to upgrade?
3.How do you install it and if its difficult?
4. And is it worth it?

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
i am considering getting a Centrifugal Clutch for my 66cc 2 stroke bicle and was wondering if...
1.you could still pedal start it?
2.you could still use the standard run of the mill sproket for the rearend or if you would have to upgrade?
3.How do you install it and if its difficult?
4. And is it worth it?
yes to pedal start.same sprocket,fairly easy some mechanic skills and last I like it.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Jeremy - I drive in a lot of traffic so I really like the cent clutch. Frees up the left hand for braking, fiddling with the headlight, etc.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
All you have to do is either pull the clutch in or just come to a stop,but if you give it gas your going to take off again.Well if you want to rev it up at idle you just squeeze the clutch.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
It will idle with the cen clutch during a stop. You may have to blip the throttle a little, but it will idle.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I had a bad experience with a cent clutch. I bought a bottom end from grubee with the cent clutch installed. There was no manual clutch, a bolt covered the hole where the bucking bar would normally be inserted. I bought it with a brand new top end and put the engine together myself. I rode that bike maybe 3 or 4 times and the one way bearing failed. I dont know if I just had bad luck with that engine or it was a grubee issue. I dont buy from grubee anymore. I have a good engine now, but im thinking my next engine could be a dual start engine from BGF or LEB. Those are the ones that come with the auto clutch and the manual clutch.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
When buy a centrifugal clutch or dual start engine remember you will most likely have to buy wider cranks or wider crank shaft.I have heard some people bend there's.I bought shorter one for mine.Hope this helps.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
It stick out about an inch more.I think it's pretty easy to install.I know people on here will help you along if needed.I thought the same thing but once you buy the clutch you will figure it out I think.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
My cent clutch added about 1 1/4 inches of width. The Kings MB wide three piece crank clears it. The BoyGoFast wide 1 piece crankset did not clear the cent clutch without mods. I had to space the 1 pc BGF crank off center to clear the cent clutch.
The pull start will add even more engine width and i don't think it is needed.
Do a search in this site for centrifugal clutches. You can find links to the install intructions and see how difficult {or easy} it is to add a cent clutch.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
don't waste your money on a pull start. I've had many, incuding the upgraded metal wire pull start and they all failed on first day's use. Pedal starting a centrifugal clutch bike is nothard.

Jeremy

Mar 19, 2012
Garden City, Kansas
on my bike the end of the pedal shaft extends to the bottom left bolt on the clutch cover will the cent clutch off set enough to where i can go without changing shafts?

and the cen clutch does allow you to idle on A 2 STROKE SKYHAWK 66CC ENGINE? and it doesnt idle now