What's Inside Your Grubee GT5?

GoldenMotor.com

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I personally do not see what you are trying to say here, please explain? How does that apply to these motors?
Grubee is certainly importing motors regularly, I wouldn't say on a "daily" basis, but they are being imported. The sticking point is the CARBURETOR, which the EPA is mandating certain aspects of before they can be imported. I assume since Grubee had been importing motors with the NT carb but was forced to change carbs by the EPA, he is operating under their mandate?
How could he not understand their rule when they are the ones mandating the changes in the carb? Please explain. If he is blind and ignorant on the matter I WILL tell him! LOL
Simply put, ticking box 7e on EPA form 3520-21 allows the importation of non conforming engines, as long as they meet the requirements specifically outlined in 7e.
That means engines with NT carbs, no catalytic mufflers, etc.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Simply put, ticking box 7e on EPA form 3520-21 allows the importation of non conforming engines, as long as they meet the requirements specifically outlined in 7e.
Thanks for taking the time to explain. I have never seen the EPA forms and don't really know anything about the regulations on import/export, so I have no way to qualify your statement, but I will pass it on and see what they think about it...

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Well, here is what I have been told...
The form you refer to is apparently out of date, the updated versions can be found here at this link from the epa

Additional Imports Documents | Importing Vehicles and Engines | US EPA

An importer on record is not allowed to import large numbers of motors under this exception, an individual might get away with a small number, two three, but you can not import a container full of kits under that exception apparently.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
This is the form my importer is using:
http://www.expeditors.com/forms-downloads/pdf/EPA_3520-21.pdf

And yes, you are right, it looks to be out of date, but no problems yet from US Customs, who verify the presence of this document shipped with each engine.
And this form can be used to import a large quantity of motors in one shipment? Or does it need to be 3 at a time?
The new form is changed and allows a "personal use exemption" to import up to 3 motors, for use other than resale, once in 5 years. I couldn't copy from the pdf doc, see section 23 at this link.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/forms/3520-21.pdf

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
That's a great idea, if they would give a lower price, but I don't think they will do it because of JRA claims. If people put it together at home, the manufacturers will probably get tired of (legitimate and illegitimate) missing parts and failed product claims. If the user assembles it, they won't want to warranty it for that.
Still, if I could get the kit and gaskets all in a box, and do it myself, I'd think it was probably fun, and probably it would help buyers who sell complete motorized bicycles, by letting them do their own QC.

With the quality that these kits have nowadays, it is wise to disassemble and inspect your engine internals before use. At this point perhaps the vendors should start shipping these 'kits' with the engine completely disassembled. It seems that the buyer ends up taking everything apart anyway, so it would save us the trouble of initial disassembly, and maybe save them some labor costs of putting the engines together in the first place.

jats

Mar 13, 2012
oregon
I am getting ready to buy a new motor kit and build my second bike my first was a Grubbie 48cc slant head EPA motor for licensing in Oregon. what motor would be a good 66/80cc motor? and were can i find the best pricing? went through king motors the first time but can change easily.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
I'd buy either a kit from piston bikes or get an engine from thatsdax and buy aftermarket accessories(throttle, intake, exhaust, etc). I've heard mostly great things about them.