can you rotate the jug 180 for carb in front?

GoldenMotor.com

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
tavares florida "lake county"
ok it must be a few too many brews....but i was wonderin bein that all the ports are in the cylinder and the piston has no dome reliefs...has it been done?...it would make for a nicer/cleaner install havin the exhuast pipe comin out the back, not to mention the carb would be out in direct fresh air, and allow for a lil experimentin with intake configuration, bigger carbs, reed valve box?.....any opinions on this?....or should i just close up shop an watch the Jets bury the Bengals????

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
ok it must be a few too many brews....but i was wonderin bein that all the ports are in the cylinder and the piston has no dome reliefs...has it been done?...it would make for a nicer/cleaner install havin the exhuast pipe comin out the back, not to mention the carb would be out in direct fresh air, and allow for a lil experimentin with intake configuration, bigger carbs, reed valve box?.....any opinions on this?....or should i just close up shop an watch the Jets bury the Bengals????
Bairdco & Foureasy will be along shortly!

EDIT: I'm fairly certain Norman was the first one to try this on a China engine.

Jim

Last edited:

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
Bairdco & Foureasy will be along shortly!

EDIT: I'm fairly certain Norman was the first one to try this on a China engine.

Jim
..well i guess it wasn't a beer induced hypothosis?......it can be/ has been done......

Nice!....watchin that utube clip from foureasy riddin up to the building is what got me "hooked"....i had people over in my shop that just couldn't believe the sound......

jim do you have a showroom?....i would love to drive down an see your shop/spend some scharole on some hi perf parts....charlie

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the bike in that link i posted has been on the road for just about a year now and it's still going strong. it has over 5000 miles on it and it's my daily rider. the only problems i've had are burnt shoes and pants from the exhaust.

i have another motor built up backwards, just waiting for the right bike to put it on.

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
the bike in that link i posted has been on the road for just about a year now and it's still going strong. it has over 5000 miles on it and it's my daily rider. the only problems i've had are burnt shoes and pants from the exhaust.

i have another motor built up backwards, just waiting for the right bike to put it on.
cool!....looks like a plan for the next build...right now im gonna use this one to learn on....get the most outta the "factory spec bullit"......gotta crawl before i run.....or F&%K a good thing up!......later...duty calls (work)....charlie

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
here is mine http://motorbicycling.com/f41/old-jag-new-tricks-22539.html I seem to have a fuel consumption problem that i will be working on soon. like its running out of fuel at high end or consuming more fuel than is getting delivered ill get it figured out .I think bairdco had the same problem im sure he will chime in. And im sure Norman was the first one to try it with good results. That is where I got the idea.

Last edited:

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
i started the same as you guys. i wondered if it was possible, then did some searching and came up with Norm's post. then i bugged him for a coupla weeks before trying it.

i think the hard starting and the fuel delivery problem comes from the intake port is pointing down after spinning the jug. it would make sense that it'd be harder to start since you're forcing the fuel to travel upwards, whereas on a conventional set-up the fuel just flows downhill.

skjjoe, i noticed your carb is offset sideways, but i can't see the intake in your pics.

on mine, i just cut the intake real short and grinded it down so the carb would slide on. the intake's less than an inch long.

i truly believe that the backwards motors run better than normal ones, or at least mine do. i've done two so far, and they're both a lot faster than a normal motor. i do the same porting, lapping, etc. to all my motors, regular or backwards, so they both get the same treatment, but the backwards ones run circles around the normals.

also, once i changed the petcock on the tank to a tecumseh one, the high speed bog disappeared.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
yup. at least 5000. it's my only transportation, and it's been a year, so it's probably more miles than that. wore out 3 rear tires, broke 3 chains, one rear hub, 2 pairs of grips, and whatever other changes it's been through, but the engine's still raging along.

i'm willing to bet it's one of the fastest bikes on this forum...