Next Progect,Codename - "I Don't Know"

GoldenMotor.com

shadowsaidhe

Apr 15, 2010
maine
I have two old chainsaw engines. One is a small craftsman that i have been saving to make a gocarty something for my daughter. The other is a mcculloch pro-mac 10-10(54cc) which i have been saving for .... ummmm.... ME. I am looking for ideas. Mostly i am having trouble figuring out how to attach a sprocket to the engine w/out a welder. I have considered drilling a couple of holes, but first I'm not sure if i could drill it out and keep the sprocket centered. And second not sure how much that might weaken the metal. ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just subscribed to your youtube posts

Been considering having the clutch bells repressed so as to accept a belt and reduce from there. Other then friction, dunno how else you could use a WW or chain saw. Well, I don't know the size or if any are already mas-produced. That would be sweet.

Is there a common size or more common then other size bells for chainsaws or WWs?

If a common one could be made, be really cool and open lots of possibilities.

Looking forward to see where this goes.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I did a chainsaw as a friction drive with limited success. It worked really nice till it broke the drive shaft. Kind of put an end to it's usefulness. If I remember right the clutch bell on the chainsaw had a sprocket or gear thing on it. If it were me knowing what I know now, I would find a sprocket like the one sold by TNC that fits a bike chain and take it to a metal shop and have it welded to the gear that is already there. run my bike chain over it and then get a rear sprocket like from a kit and attach it to the rear wheel. Make a nice rack mount I think,

I racked my brain for months on the clutch from a ww trying to figure a way to use it Some people talked about welding sprockets to them but I don't know if anyone did.

I would definitely go to a welder to have that attached to the chainsaw I think. On the chainsaw the bell is probably thick enough to stand the heat of a low temperature weld. Good luck with your project.. Im sure you will do fine.

Last edited:

shadowsaidhe

Apr 15, 2010
maine
I have seen people that have welded a sprocket onto a chainsaw but like i said i dont have a welder. both of the chainsaws i have, have the same little blade sprocket on them(i thought maybe someone made a chain sprocket that would fit). i think i am going to try to take off a sprocket off an old rim i have sitting in the garage. and then see if i can drill/screw them together(not likely i know) but i am going to try. I really want to build a chain drive w/ that saw.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Awesome Shadow, looking forward to seeing your work. Think bolting is the way to go so it is adjustable. Not locked into one size, belt or teeth count. Just my HO.

Ya got me window shopping for a chainsaw, lol.

shadowsaidhe

Apr 15, 2010
maine
i dont even know what i would use for a belt(but it sounds interesting) so soon as i can get those gears off i will try them.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just had a thought, I bet the clutch bells for gocarts and mini bikes must be available in the same size!

There is a ton but do not know your clutch size. BuilderDepot

Last edited:

shadowsaidhe

Apr 15, 2010
maine
i finished the wife's yesterday and low and behold i found a bike today for me today. it is a free spirit FS12 i looked it up on the net and i guess it was a sears bike. it has some surface rust but it is in good shape otherwise. besides can't beat free. dance1

Attachments

shadowsaidhe

Apr 15, 2010
maine
Does anyone know where to find a 7T-11T sprocket with a center hole of 3/4" or 1 3/8". And like me it has to be cheap. THANKS

shadowsaidhe

Apr 15, 2010
maine
New plan, it turns out that my father in-law has a tricycle he has been trying to get rid of. i haven't seen it, but besides the tires it is supposed to be in pretty good shape. He is bringing it up Thursday. So that will be my new project. .trk Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Last edited:

mistyblueyz

Apr 28, 2010
Maine
Yeah but you still need to fix mine Honey...Took it out for the second or third time to ride with the kids and the shaft thing broke off the weed wacker motor...I hope I got that right...hey what the heck do I know about it, but that I can't ride it...I really was proud of him for doing it with little funds...Its really fun, looking forward to having mine fixed...There now that I posted it maybe he will fix mine!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Yeah but you still need to fix mine Honey...Took it out for the second or third time to ride with the kids and the shaft thing broke off the weed wacker motor...I hope I got that right...hey what the heck do I know about it, but that I can't ride it...I really was proud of him for doing it with little funds...Its really fun, looking forward to having mine fixed...There now that I posted it maybe he will fix mine!
LOL Misty, hello and welcome

r.ly.

shadowsaidhe

Apr 15, 2010
maine
Oh ya, i'll fix it. i'll run right out and spend $50 plus shipping(that i don't have) on a new cam shaft for a weed eater that was probably only $65 new. HOLD YOUR BREATH(i'll get right on that). So unless someone has a motor they want to donate it will just have to wait.laff