Running Rich - CHOKE MYSTERY

GoldenMotor.com

marceleonidas

May 17, 2012
Virginia
Ive been running my 49cc kit according to the break in recommendations very smoothly at a 1/16 mixture. I mixed a 1/32 mixture and I noticed it ran much slower. I also see that the choke cable is acting like it doesn't want to "unpull". I took off the air filter and it ran very powerfully (I know this is not a good idea).

Its just acting like it wants to choke itself to death. And I cant figure out why!

PS. Im a noob at this

vachon644

Nov 27, 2011
Quebec city, QC, Canada
I assume you have a CNS carburetor otherwise you would not have a choke cable. I would start by removing the choke cable and check for proper spring operation. It sure does sound like you have a very rich condition. Also make sure that your cable does not bind or resist the spring.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
A 32:1 mixture will also cause it to run richer. The leaner the gas to oil ratio, the richer the fuel to air ratio will be.

marceleonidas

May 17, 2012
Virginia
SOLVED
Thanks for the replies everyone! It turns out some water got on the air filter. Rinsed it in gasoline and its running great now.

Didn't know water could clog the filter so

badbrnot

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
SOLVED
Thanks for the replies everyone! It turns out some water got on the air filter. Rinsed it in gasoline and its running great now.

Didn't know water could clog the filter so

badbrnot
If you have the CNS carb with the red plastic air filter you're probably gonna have to clean that filter often. I found the blowback from the carb would leave an oily residue in the filter that eventually restricts air flow and gives you the same problem. I replaced the red plastic filter on mine with a low profile cone style filter from sickbikeparts.com and haven't had a problem since. (I got really sick of cleaning that filter last year) I think they have several cone filters that will work on this carb, I needed the low profile model for my bike, it fit and works great...

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
If you have the CNS carb with the red plastic air filter you're probably gonna have to clean that filter often. I found the blowback from the carb would leave an oily residue in the filter that eventually restricts air flow and gives you the same problem. I replaced the red plastic filter on mine with a low profile cone style filter from sickbikeparts.com and haven't had a problem since. (I got really sick of cleaning that filter last year) I think they have several cone filters that will work on this carb, I needed the low profile model for my bike, it fit and works great...
+1
Figured this out the hard way myself. I went out on a limb and yanked the air cleaner off the carb one day and the bike ran like a bat outta ****. lol

LaLongueCarabine

Aug 15, 2011
United States
Me too except for the NT speed carb, haven't got it yet but it runs now very well without a air cleaner. This air cleaner will fit look great and keep the back splash to a min. I also believe it will breath much better.

leewayne66

Jul 6, 2012
peoria,il
I have a66 cc wit hi comp head, put a speed carb on it and its fast as **** but i cant find the air leak for
nothin. Go down the street let off the gas and it stay hi reved for a sec then comes down. Im always adjustin the idle. Ive sprayed everywhere i cant find nothin. Please help