WTB: MANIC HUB ADAPTER for Shimano/hi-stop

GoldenMotor.com

Mobbin'Deep

Apr 16, 2010
Far away from home
I am looking for a manic hub adapter for coaster brake hub locally. Preferably a 36T.

I am trying to find one today, or tomorrow otherwise im just gonna have to order one. I am going out of town next week and am really trying to wrap my bike up before then. HIT ME UP ASAP!

P.S. I'm in SoCal

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Yes Ocho, They ARE better than the Manic. I'm not saying this just because I'm selling them. I really do have a Manic mount in my garage, I am using the Howard mount on my bike. Both the Manic and clamshell mounts are a two peice unit. That means that it can only have two points of contact on the hub. Where the bolts go through is left with no pressure on the hub. The Howard mount is a three piece unit. This gives it more area of contact on the hub. The Manic will, sooner or later, SLIP on the hub. In testing the Howard hub, grease was used on the hub to try to MAKE it slip. It stayed in place. Try that with the Manic or Clamshell, I don't think it's gonna stay in place. The only drawback is that, so far, It will only fit the Huffy, Schwinn and La Jolla 26" coaster brake hub. It will also fit some of the 24" coaster brake hubs. We are working on other sizes and hope to have them availible soon.
Thank's
fatdaddy. AKA Big Red (on the other site.)
P.S. Sorry if I broke any rules. Do I need to register as a vender now?

Attachments

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i've never had a manic mechanic adapter slip. i run them on my race bikes, and bikes that have gone over 50mph, with lots of torque.

in fact, i've never re-tightened the one on my 24" worksman wheel with shimano coaster, that was put on over 2 years ago, and has been on numerous bikes.

i've used them on at least 5 builds with no problems except for a sprocket bolt backing out on one of them.

i have a Sportsman Flyer adapter i used for a short time, only because the smallest sprocket is a 34t, and i usually run a 30, and have had no issues with it slipping either. it's a 3 part adapter, unlike the manic which has 2 parts.

i've never had a Howard adapter, and it looks like a quality piece, so i have no input on it.

just wanted to make a statement from my experiences to dispel claims of "slipping."

if it's slipping, it's either the wrong size, or not tightened down correctly.

there are very few HT's out there being ridden as hard as mine, or as fast and torque-y as mine, so i feel confident about my knowledge on this subject, and feel i'm able to give an unbiased opinion.

i'm not knocking anyone's product, just the claims made about them.

none of this really matters to the OP if he can't find what he wants, though. :)

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Hey bairdco, I'm glad you've had such an experience with the Manic mount. There are a few differences between the hubs though. The Howard mount has a nine hole standard mount pattern. I think anyone can see this equates to a sturdier mount for the sprocket. The Manic has only three. This means you either have to buy a sprocket from them or try to drill your own mount holes, (And good luck getting them straight.) Also, Their sprocket is aluminum while on the Howard you can use a steel sprocket allowing you to change tooth sizes much more easily with any standard sprocket. And a steel sprocket will hold up much better and last longer than an aluminum sprocket.
Of course the Manic is an OK mount or they would be out of business by now. I'm just saying that the Howard is a better one.
fatdaddy.

Mobbin'Deep

Apr 16, 2010
Far away from home
Ordered a sportsman from venice motor bikes. He had it instock ready to go. Pirate had adapters but no sprockets...i waned the 36t and VMB said they could get one in like 5 days. but i need it now so i got the 40t

heres my baby...

mesmith

Jun 30, 2011
United States
Yes Ocho, They ARE better than the Manic. I'm not saying this just because I'm selling them. I really do have a Manic mount in my garage, I am using the Howard mount on my bike. Both the Manic and clamshell mounts are a two peice unit. That means that it can only have two points of contact on the hub. Where the bolts go through is left with no pressure on the hub. The Howard mount is a three piece unit. This gives it more area of contact on the hub. The Manic will, sooner or later, SLIP on the hub. In testing the Howard hub, grease was used on the hub to try to MAKE it slip. It stayed in place. Try that with the Manic or Clamshell, I don't think it's gonna stay in place. The only drawback is that, so far, It will only fit the Huffy, Schwinn and La Jolla 26" coaster brake hub. It will also fit some of the 24" coaster brake hubs. We are working on other sizes and hope to have them availible soon.
Thank's
fatdaddy. AKA Big Red (on the other site.)
P.S. Sorry if I broke any rules. Do I need to register as a vender now?
Where do we find these at?

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Ordered a sportsman from venice motor bikes. He had it instock ready to go. Pirate had adapters but no sprockets...i waned the 36t and VMB said they could get one in like 5 days. but i need it now so i got the 40t

heres my baby...

Is that a starter motor attached to your stand? If so, Thats a GREAT idea.
fatdaddy.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
No I think that's a bicycle stand trainer.
But it would be cool if it were a starter
I just got a little welder and I have a couple electric motors laying around. I just might experiment with building it. I'm getting too old to peddle start a customers bike every time I need to test one.
fatdaddy.

familyguy

Jan 7, 2012
lincoln, ca
pictures anyone? i just ordered one of these about $60 shipped

the images work if u click on them, not sure why they wont show up

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
pictures anyone? i just ordered one of these about $60 shipped

the images work if u click on them, not sure why they wont show up
I think you'll be happy with it, I am.
I'm sure Mr. Howard will give you mounting instructions with it, but I'll give you some tips anyway.
(1,) Of course, make sure the sprocket bolt pattern comes out NOT resting on the spokes. (2,) Keep the spacing between the sections as even as possible. You can use a feeler guage but "eyeball" close should be close enough. (3,)Torque the section bolts to 20lbs, I'm not sure about the sprocket bolts, (I'll find out,) But remember it's going into aluminum, not steel, so tighten accordingly. (4,) You can use the sprocket bolts that came with your kit, they will work, BUT, I recomend you get a better grade bolt to use. The chinese are not known for their quality products.
You may have a little room to play with on the hub between the spokes. You can slide the hub adapter slightly one way or another to help with sprocket alighnment. Also, If you need to, you can use a washer or two to space out the sprocket to the proper alighnment. If you have a fatter tire this will also keep the chain off the tire.
When you get it installed and ride it a bit, get back to us with a review. I'm real happy with it but I may be biased, I had the first one besides Mr. Howard himself.
fatdaddy.

Last edited:

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
Any questions regarding the Howard Hub Mount I would be happy to address myself- I first used an MM mount and was reasonably satisfied with it after I blew my first prototype... then I got back into production again with my own design. It is deliberate overkill, I admit it... that is the way I do things. My origional training is as a gunsmith- machinist, blacksmith, metalurgist, founderer, woodwright, alchemist and engineer are all part of this title. My intention is to create the most stable mount on the market- The MM is a perfectly functional unit, just not as strong as mine. That is a fact. Mine is designed to use the Chinese steel sprocket rather than use a milled aluminum unit. Contact me with questions and I will be happy to respond-
the Old Sgt. (Sgt. Gregory F. Howard)usflg

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I need one for a Stingray! :)
You the guy I just e-mailed back?
I don't think anyone makes an adapter for the Schwinn OCC Stingray hub. I DO have a lot of OCC stuff in my shop and I'll try to determine (tomorrow) if it's at all possible to adapt one of the Howard Hubs. BUT, don't hold yer breath. The hub on the OCC is, as I recall, a lot larger then the standard Schwinn or Huffy and you would not be able to enlarge the hole in the hub enough. But I ain't looked at it yet, And ya never know.
fatdaddy.

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
The C-N-C shop that does my mounts specifically set the program to allow the radius of the hub hole to be adjusted without messing with any other dimentions- not hard to do on these things apparently as long as you know ahead of time that it might be prudent. Hmmmm... the smallest number of a given size I can produce is twenty... whatch think, Fatdaddy? You reccon there's twenty OCC hubs out there needing a mount? Big question- don't they have those funky true radial spokes, all coming from dead center on the hub to the rim? Or is that the front wheel only? I have NO experiance with the OCC- your input would be valuable.
the Old Sgt. usflg

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
This would be a remarkable experiment... Fatdaddy, get the those hub dimentions and I'll see if I cannot enlarge the hole on an existing one... a tricky bit of lathmanship, one that few would attempt, but I'll bet I can do it.
usflg

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I'll get on that today Sarge, Right now I'm sitting here trying to wake up with a mega-cup of coffee. But There are a couple things I can tell you now. (I just went out to the shop and brought in a rear wheel.)
The OCC rear wheel has the cross pattern, 48 spoke setup. As far as the hub itself goes, Its a Scwinn hub and I can't measure it precisly at the moment but it looks about the right size, approx 1 1/2 inch across. It also looks like the width is about right. The hub I have is a coaster brake hub so I can't comment on the cantilever brake hub, if it's even a different size or not.
I'm gonna have to take the old rag joint off of it, possibly remove a spoke or two to make room to set the sections in, and THAT will be later today.
You will still run in to the problem of the brake arm being set deep behind the sprocket. Spooky Tooth is supposed to have an extension for this but has been out of stock forever. Of course with the cantilever brake bike you wont have this problem.
http://spookytoothcycles.com/compon...age=vmj_ace.tpl&product_id=532&category_id=41
If someone could make their own extension, Or supply it with the purchess of the hub,(hint, hint Sarge,) for a little extra money, then it WOULD be a setup for the OCC.
BUT FIRST, let me finish my coffee, get my head on straight, then I'll get to this wheel and find out FOR SURE.
fatdaddy.
OOOPS, Sorry people. I grabbed a Jesse James wheel by mistake. So all the info I just gave applies to the Jesse James Huffy bike. I'll dig out an OCC hub and check that one out later.
Again, SORRY, But I told ya I was still having my morning coffee.

Last edited: