Converting multi speed motor bicycle to single speed

GoldenMotor.com

Donnyten

Jun 21, 2015
Durham
Hello. I have a 49cc four stroke huasheng. For the sake of simplicity I've been entertaining the thought of converting my multi speed motorized bicycle to a single speed. Less wires l/ components/ less parts to fail-overall. Would there be a problem if I was to do this? Would the motor and everything still run smoothly? Would everything be balanced and stabilized? Or better yet, would I encounter any problems overall?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I've converted the other way since sometimes you really want gears. Going to single should be about the same. I had to stretch the width of rear dropouts, so you'd need to squeeze them in. I had to file sprockets to take the thinner chain, but you'd have no problem going the other way (in fact, if you have an old 415 chain around, it would work). Your rear dropouts might make getting pedal chain tight a bit of a hassle, but 1/2 link should help there, or a second tensioner on that side.

Last edited:

Donnyten

Jun 21, 2015
Durham
I'm a bit of a noob at this. Actually I had someone build my motorized bicycle for me so I don't know much about the stuff you speak of. But shouldn't it just be a simple as taking off all the extra stuff and mounting a single sprocket?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
almost, but the wheel with the gears is probably much wider than the single speed wheel

Donnyten

Jun 21, 2015
Durham
Funny because the guy who built the motored bike for me recommended them. I haven't rode much but I hear regular bike brakes wear out sooner/ quicker. What kind if brakes are recommended?

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
Rim brakes are more reliable than coaster brakes, and can work quite well if adjusted properly.