Cold Brewed Coffee

GoldenMotor.com

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
A friend of mine recently remembered drinking this stuff in the 80s, but couldn't recall the details. He called his friends' mom, a woman in her 90s, and not only did she remember, but she had the contraption to make it in the cupboard! I was surprised to find that the company is still in business.
You pour a pound of ground coffee into the hopper, set it on the carafe, pour in cold water, and let it sit for a day. When your ready for a cup of joe, you mix one part cold coffee concentrate with three parts hot water.
That is good coffee. My brother was a barista for many years, and this is better than almost anything he ever made me.
Anyone have experience with this method?

Attachments

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I haven't tried it. Perhaps the cold water preserves more aroma than the hot water by slowing chemical reactions. Reminds me a little of making sun tea without the sun.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Yeah man. It tastes better somehow, but I can't really describe it. Less acidic, not 'bold', but fuller. I'm sold.

BTW- Is that a real Enzo quote? I've heard Lamborghini started making cars because he and Enzo got into an argument...

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
...no experience whatsoever although I'm a absolute addict - although I prefer a French Press: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_press they're fragile, so more oft then not I feed the machine like most everyone else.

Although given my propensity for camping and travel, as electricity or even fire isn't always an option I'm defo going to give it a shot: https://toddycafe.com/

Thanks so much Trey, I'm really very thankful for this but also stunned & a bit humbled to find there's actually something about makin' a cuppa of me lifeblood brew I hadn't already tried... jus' goes to show it doesn't matter how much I may think I know, I should know by now that I know jus' enough to know I don't lol ;)

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
stunned & a bit humbled to find there's actually something about makin' a cuppa of me lifeblood brew I hadn't already tried
Yeah, right?! My brother the former barista, who knows his stuff, had never heard of it either.
Maybe not the best use of packing space but... On winter day hikes, I carry my homemade camp stove and a french press back into the woods. Haven't broken one yet, and that cup of coffee makes me feel like I invented the whole thing. Like guys who carry champagne up everest. ;)