Won't start with muffler on...

GoldenMotor.com

gunslingerburrito

Sep 12, 2011
Gulfport, MS
Hey all,
I've been doing some searching and haven't found this problem yet. I haven't ridden my 58cc Starfire in a while, and was getting back into riding gas bikes again. It previously had about a year of daily riding.

I cleaned out the carb, inspected the head and piston, made sure the tank was rust/debris free, new line/filter, fresh plug and fresh mix.

Thing is, it only pops over with the muffler OFF.

When the muffler is on, it does nothing; the wheel turns with the normal engaged resistance, and I come to a smooth and exhausted halt. It doesn't sound like the engine is doing anything at all.

It won't stay going while the muffler is off, but it will at least turn over and pop a few times.

Fully clogged muffler? (It's a black cat)

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Check the muffler to make sure a dirt-dauber hasn't made a nest in the end of your muffler. Those things are building nests on/in everything around here.

Good luck!!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I agree. Sounds like a clogged exhaust.
Heat, solvents or cut it open.
Might try oven cleaner....
I never have this problem since I run 40:1 from day one.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Have you tried blowing through the exhaust, either by mouth or compressed air? I concur that a clogged exhaust system is all that makes sense in your case. Bugs, spiders or old coagulated oil would be my guess. Are you running a 16:1 fuel/oil mix? Is it a catalytic converter type muffler?

Tom

gunslingerburrito

Sep 12, 2011
Gulfport, MS
Yeah dude, seriously...wth?

Anyway, I didn't even consider dirt dinners/bugs. I tried blowing through it with all my lungs had- no joy at all. It's a catalytic converter, which I collect means it's even easier to clog. I soaked it in carb cleaner for ten minutes, rinsed and repeated, also to little effect.

I'll try the solvents first as suggested, and move on to the charcoal grill if that doesn't work.
Thank y'all for the replies :D

Well, except for sub.66;
The grown ups didn't think it was funny, son.