King's Sales and Service

GoldenMotor.com

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
Jim, I have called your phone number a few times and someone has always answered. That is great service! I know you guys work hard and we are all glad you make us these awesome parts.

I understand the knee-jerk since you have worked so many hours in your shop for us.

Thanks for bettering our hobby.

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
No, I applied through Paypal to get my money back. It's still in process.

I ordered a sprocket and adapter from Firebelly Cycles instead and according to an e-mail from them they are on their way here now. I expect them by next week.

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
Are you planning on running disc brakes on the sprocket side also?
Cheers
Chainmaker
Not on this bike. It doesn't have disc brake mounts on the dropouts and the forks. I'm just using this gear/adapter set up to get a direct to hub drive system. This is the third wheel set I've had on this bike and I don't want to go back to a rag joint connection. I know I could get an adapter for disc brakes and may some day go that route, but for now the rim brakes work fine.

My other two motor bikes already have direct to hub gearing since one is the Grubee GT2 bike and the other was converted to the 68 spoke rims and associated drive gear.

nidyanazo

May 25, 2010
SoCal
Darn, that's too bad.

Was there ever a timeframe given for the part when you ordered?
(eg: ships in xx days?)

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
No, though I did NOT expect anything right away considering they are machined as they are ordered. The problem was that I actually wanted them to HOLD shipping as I needed the top hat adapter as well and never received any reply's to my attempts to communicate. It's been several months now with still no communication and no parts.

It's a shame because I've heard good things about the products themselves, and I do appreciate the crafters who are willing to design and fabricate custom parts for our little bikes.

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
Idk you shouldn't have had to wait that long.

Ebay Listing said:
NOTE: We understand that buyers are anxious to get their products as soon as reasonably possible so we will strive for a 48 HR turn around time to make your part(s) (machining time) after your payment is received (the difference in the actual time it takes you to get the item would be the transit time with the USPS or UPS ). We will take several trips to get the items shipped out per week. Because of fuel prices to the Post Office or UPS depot we have had to add a few dollars for gasoline into our standard the shipping charge but we have found that overall customers are happier to receive their parts in a more timely manner than waiting for deliveries to the shipper only once per week. We hope you understand our shipping methods and we than you in advance for your business....
If I had to wait even a week (without it being shipped at least) I'd be pretty pissed, considering that quote on the e-Bay listing.

Last edited:

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
The Firebelly sprocket and adapter arrived today, so kudos to them for quick shipping. It appears they sent the wrong sprocket, however so I'm working with them to get it replaced. I ordered a 48 tooth and received a 49 tooth. I'd just go ahead and use the one they shipped but it appears to be made for an entirely different chain than the standard kit chains.

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
why does it look like it won't work with the stock chain?
Spacing is all wrong. I tried to fit it to the chain before mounting it on the bike and the chain won't seat at all. Not even close. The sprocket is made for a different gauge chain entirely. I'm sure they just pulled the wrong one off the shelf or something.

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
If the width of the chain is too narrow then it can appear that the pitch is wrong (distance between teeth). I thought this was odd when I first heard it but then experienced it first hand. I wonder if that sprocket would work with the slightly wider #41 chain?. That chain works better anyways.

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
If the width of the chain is too narrow then it can appear that the pitch is wrong (distance between teeth). I thought this was odd when I first heard it but then experienced it first hand. I wonder if that sprocket would work with the slightly wider #41 chain?. That chain works better anyways.
It's pretty far off. I'm sure I have to change the sprocket on the motor as well to get anything to work and I'm unwilling to do that. I have two other motorbikes and having one with a vastly different drive system just seems impractical. It's also a lot of work to go through considering I just received the wrong part to begin with. I'm sure Firebelly will sort this out. I'm not sure their "Contact us" page works, though.

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
Final update:

I was able to get my money back through Paypal from King's Sales & Service. I'm not sure what the issue with contact with them was but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt as it could be some personal emergency.

The sprocket I received from Firebelly IS the correct pitch. The stock chain was simply too narrow creating the illusion of a pitch problem. Firebelly is sending me a wider chain. Tadd, they're sending me #41 chain so you called it after all.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I have sent Firebelly 3 e-mails asking about the adapter, and if it will work with disc brakes..No Reply.
I also sent Andy from kings an e-mail, I kind of am in the same situation with the disc wheel but that is My only rear brake option, and right now a $hift kit is out of the question. I might have to change out wheels to a coaster and MM adapter if I don't find another option.
Cheers
Chainmaker

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
I think the "contact us" page at Firebelly doesn't work because I got no response through that too. Try using "[email protected]" and see what you get.

Though I am not using disk brakes on the bike in question I DO have the adapter and I am certain disk brakes WOULD work with it as there is plenty of room.

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
I was at a dilemma when choosing a shift kit or kings sales adapter and sprocket. I went with the adapter and sprocket but wish I would have chosen the shift kit. I mainly chose what I did due to the cost. And before I move on I must say that kings sales products are amazing. The precision and quality are great. He even uses a higher grade of aluminum.

I bought an adapter and two sprockets. One for on road and one for off road. I had some clearance issues and had to buy some hardware and make some changes. After all said and done I had 150 into all of that (almost enough for a shift kit). The other thing is switching the sprockets out is a pain.

My point is that the money you will have into everything, and you mentioned swapping to a different hub, would be somewhat close to a shift kit. Maybe save and be a little patient until you have enough for the shift kit. I wish I did.

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
Idk this all sucks because the concept is great. It allows you to run a real high quality name brand rear hub, and an easy installation.

It's almost enough of a reason to justify buying an old lathe to make. Especially if they're selling for +$40 a pop.

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
Not an easy installation for me. I had to get the sprocket right up against the spokes to get a chain line that was not perfect but close enough. The problem was the bolt heads that bolt the sprocket to the sprocket adapter hits the spokes. I had to buy these special blind nuts and grind the sprocket to recess the blind nuts. this allowed the sprocket to sit flush against the spokes. When I say against the spokes I mean where the spokes are when they go through the hub flange. The blind nuts cost five bucks a pop and the grinding was tricky and took forever. If you need more details I can take pics and give further explanation.