hello from ontario

GoldenMotor.com

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Rockenstein, I based that statement on the fact that the Canada Transport site says so, the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia who helped draw up the rules said so, and the fact that the web sight for the Province of Ontario says so.

Who you got?

Steve.
There is nothing in the federal Motor Vehicle Safety Act, Ontario's Highway Traffic Act or even Ontario's Provincial Offences Act that says attaching something to a bicycle is illegal.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Rocky, here's who I got. Born2bfree told you on Aug.10 2009 that Alberta had changed thier laws to match the rest of Canada. He gave you the official web site that said gas motors could no longer be put on bicycles in Alberta to match the rest of Canada.

http.//alberta.ca...powerbikes.pdf

That tells me that you can't put a gas motor on a bike in Canada legally.

You can also try the official gov. site Welcome Page | Page d'accueil and look up motorized bicycles. They have photos of what is what. The only bicycle that looks like a bicycle as most people know them, can only be electric powered.

The company that I bought my hub motor from included the two official stickers in both official languages that it is a legal electric powered vehicle as required by law here in Canada.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Forget the Transport Canada site and Google "Transport Canada motorized bicycles".

Also look up Attention Canadians!!! on Motoredbicycling.com. On 1/10/2010 bgoates, post#1, posted a letter he sent to the Alberta Government and the reply. It is also on the Trans. Can. site with a lot of information.

They should clear the air about can and can't be done.
I do however stand to be corrected.

Steve.

furament

May 31, 2009
ontaro
dude where in ont har har i find you someone somewhere is supoast ta have a rally dunno weare are you ???

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Fasteddy I don't know why whenever Canadian legal topics come up I end up in a debate with you, sometimes it's fun but sometimes it's just annoying :p

You said a gas motor on a bicycle in Canada is illegal and that transport Canada says so.

The word illegal implies that there are specific laws written that forbid something or forbid someone from doing something. Agreed?

There are no federal laws that specifically say you are in breach of the law the moment you install a 49, 66 or 1000cc gas engine kit on a bicycle just the same as there are no laws that specifically say you are in breach of the law if you install a 500, 750 or 1000 watt electric motor kit on a bicycle.

Specific to this thread tho is the fact that there are no Ontario laws written that say a typical store bought pedal bicycle modified with the addition of a gas engine kit or electric motor kit is illegal to own or operate.

Where are we at now?

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Rocky, my old English Grandmother always said that there are none so blind as those who don't wish to see. I shone the light on the facts and you still can't see them.

I'm plan to visit family and friends in Ontario this summer and maybe we can continue this, then. Just to prove I'm a great guy I'll even let you buy lunch! Micky D's is fine.LOL
Made a mini meet if anyone in the area is interested.

I'll bring my bike with the legal 500W motor and you bring what ever your riding and we can discuss this further.

This is of course if you haven't been caught on your illegal gas bike and after paying the fine and extra insurance your stoney broke at which time lunch is on me. O.O

Steve.