Need a BIG sprocket for the manic mechanic hub adapter

GoldenMotor.com

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Andrew,
Thanks for the information. I'm going to look to see if I still have a sprocket from MM with both bolt patterns. I'm reluctant to do the measuring as I don't know that I would be accurate enough. Since the whole idea is for it to be concentric and right on I would rather you did the measuring to remove any fudge factor. So I'll see if I have one. It would be a 56 tooth I believe, but from that you could enlarge it to 72 if I go that high.
(Which is the next thing to figure out).

SB
http://mmbikeparts.com/order.htm

THE LARGE SPROCKET ADAPTERS ARE ON A 3-5/8" BOLT CIRCLE.
THE SMALL SPROCKET ADAPTERS ARE ON A 3-1/8" BOLT CIRCLE.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
SB,,,
yes, I am still running a 72, I would happily buy another if needed (^)
my bike is a tank, and easily is over 100lbs
I can cruise easily 27-28 (my normal, solo speed) I find the preddy vibrates a lot over 28
I can't tell you what my top speed is at this time, because my daughter is at work with my bike
(her yukon's trans went out and she has been commuting with my bike),,,
finally after all this time I got her on a bike!!! LOL
I will post my top speed after she gets home ;)

Last edited:

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
Hi Motor Bicycle Racing,

Thanks for the link and the bolt circle dimensions....

the only other items we need are:

1) Center bore (I don't think that would matter too much BUT the sprocket must clear some of the hub to make it to the 3 "prongs" on the MM adapter....Generally our Super Sprockets center bores come in either 1.5" for stock applications, 1.75" for Coaster Brake Applications and 2.15" for Top Hat Sprocket Applications...Of course we can also machine to whatever center bore is needed.....My best guess here is that the center bore should be at least 1.75" since most MM hub adapters are probably for coaster brake equipped bikes.

2) What are the diameters of the mounting holes? (we can back figure the needed sizes if you or anybody here can let us know the size of the sprocket mounting bolts themselves).

3) I did notice on Pirate Cycle's site that some of the mounting holes for the MM sprocket were countersunk.....If that needs to be done, we can countersink too but most of our sprockets do not have counter sunk bolt holes.

Thanks for the info....Looks like we'll soon have everything needed to make Super Sprockets for the MM adapters.....

Andrew

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Q: Can I use my kit supplied sprocket with your adapter?

A: Yes, but you will need to accurately drill three 0.377" holes 120 degrees apart on a 3.625" bolt circle.

I would check that hole size, uses 3/8" button head socket bolts.

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Andrew,
It sounds like we're getting close to having a sprocket for the MM hub. That's good!.

Bill, that is good to know you can get that much top speed out of it with a 72 tooth sprocket. I'm thinking I may go with a 70 tooth so that I can hopefully cruise at close to 30 without pushing the engine. I should still have good acceleration from a dead stop and ability to climb hills even with the sidecar, I would think. If I still need more power then I can look into an upgraded carburetor later on.At least that's my thinking tonight.
SB

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
It makes me happy to see Andrew @ King's taking a more proactive stance. We MaBers have to take what we can get when it comes to what we need.

It's never too late to make customers (and potential customers) happy. I sincerely hope you keep it up and keep in contact with us!

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Andrew,
So what else do you need to know to make up a sprocket for the MM adapter? You have the hole patterns. Would you do a sprocket so that it was drilled for either pattern? That would be good, I think.

If I were ordering this evening I would tell you I wanted it to have 70 teeth and the center drilled out for a coaster brake. Is there anything else you would need to know? I'm counting my pennies and coming close to placing an order. Have to figure my expenses for the month and budget. But it is a great relief to know that I'll be able to buy the sprocket I need and it will bolt right on. Awesome.
SB

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

From reading this thread I think I have all the needed info to make the sprocket....

Only thing is tho is I don't know if the holes have to be countersunk or not....I have seen MM sprockets with and without countersinking....We can do either tho so not a problem either way.

Due to work loads, I am not on the forum every day so for fastest ordering you can use our web page and include details / phone number in the pay Pal notes section in case we have questions.

Hope this helps you.

Andrew

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Andrew,
That's good that we have a source for the MM sprockets. Thanks for your interest and willingness to help us out.

I'm in the process right now of fitting up the sidecar to the Panther and will try it out with the 64 tooth sprocket. It should give me a better idea of what size sprocket will work out best for me.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I have been riding my Panther with canoe sidecar for the past few days and it is clear that I need to lower the gearing. I believe a 70 tooth sprocket will do the trick. Will the sprocket have both sets of mounting holes or do I need to specify which set, the larger or the smaller? I don't need to have the holes countersunk. Will PM you regarding placing the order tomorrow. Many thanks for working with us here and so good to know we have a source for larger sprockets.
SB

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

We can put both sets of mounting holes on if you like or just one but you would have to specify which (if no mention is made we can just put both on)....

The only dimension I don't have still is the center bore but I can just make that bigger rather than smaller so it will fit over the hub in case you need to mount the sprocket closer to the spokes rather than further outboard to achieve a better chain line.

If no specifics are given for the center bore I'll machine them to the same diameter as our Top Hat Sprockets so they can fit over the hub if need be.

Hope this helps....I'll keep an eye out for your order.

Andrew

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i had andy make a sprocket for me many years ago and i have to say it was really nice. i mounted on the mount that a disc break goes. quick and easy and true

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI MBR,

The center bore for a Sprocket used with our Top Hat Sprocket Adapter is 2.15 inches (this diameter or larger will clear the hub on a disc brake hub install).

Hope this helps.

Andrew

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
As noted in the PM I sent you, drilling both sets of holes would be good and the center hole drilled out to the same diameter as your tophat would also be good. I am guessing that would clear a coaster brake hub.
I want to thank you again for taking an interest in our plight, being willing to find out what we need and supply it. Your personal touch speaks well of you and your business. Wishing you continued success.
SB

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I joined up here on this board in 2008. Andy was making these gem jewels then. I still have one of Andy's sprockets. I have some more projects coming up in the future. Gonna get another one from you soon Andy. Great workmanship buddy:)

I wanted to second what Silver Bear said it is really top notch how you work with us. As a custom sprocket has made a huge difference on my creations.