Whitey Flyer

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hey guys,
A fellow forum member, Whitey, had me put together a kit bike for him awhile back. It has been a slow build as he has been getting the parts together from his home in Australia and having them sent to my shop in California. It is finally ready to ship and these are the last pictures before boxing it up. Even mounted the brass head badge and fancy tank straps. So Whitey, I promised you some final pictures before I ship it. Here they are.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Very nice (^) Those Grubee pipes add performance, every bike I have used them on I have always seen 3-6mph increase and lots of get up and go.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'm looking forward to it arriving. Now just the agonising wait for it to ship.
Anyone got an idea of how long it will take?
I'm guessing sometime before the twelfth of never, but the wait will be worth it. Wow. You have to send some photos when you get rubber on it and are ready to roll.
SB

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
I'm looking forward to it arriving. Now just the agonising wait for it to ship.
Anyone got an idea of how long it will take?
Whitey,
The slower the ship the cheaper the shipping. I hear they have some pretty fast sailing ships these days. They can make the crossing from California to Australia in just a little under 9 months!

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
I'm stoked. It has officially arrived in Australia! The catch is its in Sydney and stuck in customs. They want to know all of the details of the engine. I need to figure something out.
Can someone please help me with the stats. The Engine is grubee GT5 slant head.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'm stoked. It has officially arrived in Australia! The catch is its in Sydney and stuck in customs. They want to know all of the details of the engine. I need to figure something out.
Can someone please help me with the stats. The Engine is grubee GT5 slant head.
Ah man... so close and yet so far. Someone will know the stats and pass them along. Seems like the anal fun police are making a big deal over what shouldn't have to be. I bet they're drooling over the bike while staring at it. As Aristophanes said, "if it ain't one damned thing, it's another". Keep us posted , then send photos. What is the worst that can happen, requiring you to register it as a motorcycle? Best of luck.
SB

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
I did get a threat that they would send it back :(
if I don't come up with the details soon. I really hope I will end up with it with as little trouble as possible

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I did get a threat that they would send it back :(
if I don't come up with the details soon. I really hope I will end up with it with as little trouble as possible
What? Send it back! What is wrong with these people? It is rolling sculpture, it is a work of art. You are beautifying your country. Maybe you need some kind of legal counsel. There must be a way to allow something so innocuous into Australia. What about chain saws, aren't there a bunch of them there? What if the engine was sent back, but the bike was allowed in and you said you were going to put an electric motor on it? Or get the gas motor from your guys there at Rocksolid? Maybe contact them and tell them your situation... they may know of a way and can advise you. They may also have all of the tech info you need. What a stupid thing.
It reminds me of the situation in Canada with a ban on gas motored bikes across their nation where there are a bazillion chain saws running at any given time and a handful of motored bicycles to worry over. I do not understand the thinking. What about freedom of individuals? How about low cost transportation? Australia sounds as controlled as Canada and yet I know the people on the street there value their freedoms and pioneer spirit. How is it we have allowed pencil pushers in offices to control our lives over mundane things? I'm afraid the same wave of idiocy is washing into the U.S. as well. Wars are OK, big oil polluting our planet is OK, but somebody putting along on a motored bicycle is not OK. Sorry for my rant, but this is so wrong. I'm pulling for you, mate.
SB

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
We should have sent the engine separate. Whitey, I stuck the engine build tag sticker, the green one, on the back side of the tool box door. Have them look there. Damn, it will probably end up hanging on the wall of some customs officers office. Demand your bike! Like Silverbear said call a local motor bike shop and see if they can help. This sucks!

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I guess its the same " The Man" trying to kill some fun, while there is real crime going on that needs addressing.
Cheers
Chainmaker

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Whitey said they mostly need engine specifics. Maybe a $100 hand shake with the right customs agent will take care of the problem.