Hello I'm thinking about building one

GoldenMotor.com

kmarcetjr

Mar 30, 2017
Florida
Hi everyone, I just joined, but have been kicking around the idea of building a motorized bicycle for a few weeks now. I like the idea of getting 100 to 150 mpg, I could ride for maybe a week and a half or so on a gallon. I live in a small town in south Florida, every place I commonly need to go is say less than 5 miles away. My work is about 1.5 miles, the local grocery store is about the same, the Walmart Super Center is about 3 miles, my doctor is about 4 miles, anyway you get the idea. It's very flat here, picture a slice of cheese laying on a table, that's how flat it is. I might drive 100 miles a week.

I have very strong mechanical skills, I have worked in a small engine shop before, and have even rebuilt car engines. I'm reasonably sure I can install an engine, probably a 2 stroke, onto a bicycle frame, with one of the kits sold online.

I like the some of the cruiser builds I have seen, especially the ones that have been built to resemble early motorcycles. I would want my bike to be useful as my daily transportation and functional, as in be able to take a rack and panniers, to carry groceries. Sometimes I have to travel to and from work when it is dark, so lights would be required as well, but not legally required here in FL.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Welcome! Take some time to decide your set up. Many great builders on here very willing to help. I've done so many of these I lost count. Take a look at "My Builds Album" for Bike styles, ideas, tips and tricks to keep Safe. I would love to be where I could ride all year long on nice flat ground. Boy are you gonna enjoy. Remember for daily all around use- Build it SAFE! meaning after market drive line and Brake parts. Reliability is the goal. Use a left side mirror and be happy at a casual 25-30 mph. Most important wear a helmet. Good Luck to you and safety first.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Pay attention to the installation for reliability. Don't mash the tubes cranking things down, get it to fit right, snug them and double nut using a little blue loc-tite and you won't have to mess with them much or at all.
Good alignment of the chain and drive sprocket keeps things smooth, quiet and the chain from giving trouble. Avoid extra-wide rear tires if you use a chinadoll. Not much clearance for fatties.
The gas shutoff valve that comes with the kits is junk IMO. Go ahead and get the $7 one someplace. Put tire liners in to protect against flats. I had several flats til I did this.
I hate flats.
Reinforce the fender mounts or lose the fenders, they can break off and crash you hard.
Good luck and happy buzzin!

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
For riding a hundred a week, I'd put a fat gelbag seat with springs or whatever.
Mine is called 'cloud 9' and it makes the ride a lot nicer.
Also make a brace to support the muffler tip, or keep tightening the bolts til they strip and need replaced.
Don't gut your chinadoll muffler. I've run several pipes and objectively speaking, the little stock pipe is quietest and less prone to coming loose, leaking at some rubber hosed joint or making a sharp mettallic pip pip pipping that got on my nerves. They all ran about the same, too. (the engine is stock, though).
If you go for an exhaust change, wait til your engine is broken in and running well so any changes can be judged for better or worse.
What else... that's enough of my big mouf for now.

Last edited:

kmarcetjr

Mar 30, 2017
Florida
Welcome! Take some time to decide your set up. Many great builders on here very willing to help. I've done so many of these I lost count. Take a look at "My Builds Album" for Bike styles, ideas, tips and tricks to keep Safe. I would love to be where I could ride all year long on nice flat ground. Boy are you gonna enjoy. Remember for daily all around use- Build it SAFE! meaning after market drive line and Brake parts. Reliability is the goal. Use a left side mirror and be happy at a casual 25-30 mph. Most important wear a helmet. Good Luck to you and safety first.
Thanks, I like the white Nishiki, I'm still somewhere between a MTB or a cruiser, but cruisers just look cooler than a mountain. But a mountain might be easier to find a nice used one on craigslist. A lot of what I have read says to stay away from big box store bikes to motorize, some say they are built cheaply and won't stand up to the added stress of being motorized.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
My daily driver is a 199somthing Huffy Stone Mountain II early mtb. The red n black one.
A lot of what I have read says to stay away from big box store bikes to motorize, some say they are built cheaply and won't stand up to the added stress of being motorized.
Yup- inspect it closely. Even if you choose a Beach Cruiser look closely at the welds, all of them. Be confident with the integrity of whatever you choose. Bicycles are not meant to be motorized. A well built bicycle is obvious in its welds. As stated; inspect it closely.

kmarcetjr

Mar 30, 2017
Florida
Well I will probably go looking around on in a couple of days to see what is available locally. Sometimes nice brand name bikes can be found on craigslist as well.
I wouldn't mine finding a nice rigid Trek MTB to build on.

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Well I will probably go looking around on in a couple of days to see what is available locally. Sometimes nice brand name bikes can be found on craigslist as well.
I wouldn't mine finding a nice rigid Trek MTB to build on.
I love building on Treks. The 820 is my favorite bike to motorize. I built this bike from a 21" trek 820 that I found being sold on craigslist for $150. It's a great bike, super reliable, and does 40 mph.