Just wondering if anyone is familiar with this pipe

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I like it, but it looks like a leg toaster! Fairly easy to fix with some sort of heat shield.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Probably would get rid of the silencer and go with a 6"-8" straight tube to reduce some of the back pressure, never had an exhaust with a silencer work good on any of my china girls accept the basically stock engines because they dont rev very high anyway.

Im thinking seriously about it but I cant see the size of the lead off pipe and that is something I'd like to know, may need to email the guy and ask about that.

Map

Bzura

Mar 8, 2014
PA
Is this for sale by a dealer or by a private party? If it's a dealer do you mind sharing the location or web site?

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Yeah Map looks just like the one I put on my sisters bike "Queenie' Off a Modded Pocket bike. This pipe works awesome-tis loud. And if I remember correctly she running with an NT Jetted with a size 62. these are more expensive than the type I normally use. In my opinion it is the best pipe out there off the shelf for these engines when carby jetted correctly. of course you have to cut, position and weld.
Look @ my album to see how I installed it on a 24" bike.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Yeah Map looks just like the one I put on my sisters bike "Queenie' Off a Modded Pocket bike. This pipe works awesome-tis loud. And if I remember correctly she running with an NT Jetted with a size 62. these are more expensive than the type I normally use. In my opinion it is the best pipe out there off the shelf for these engines when carby jetted correctly. of course you have to cut, position and weld.
Look @ my album to see how I installed it on a 24" bike.
Ok thanks Ill look, im thinking I can probably find this pipe cheaper and just rig it up myself than to pay close to 80 bucks shipped for the one that guy is selling.

Map

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Thank you for the link, I've considered that pipe before but was unsure about how it would work, if you've had good results with it then I guess I need to give it a shot and see what I can do with it, I like the fact that it's compact and looks better on the bike than the bigger pipes like the one a have on one of my bikes.

Thanks again
Map

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
The pipe is a pocket bike expansion chamber ($20 on eBay), the header is a custom unit & looks to be about the correct length. I would buy the cheaper one, cut it, & fab up my own 12" header (flex pipe at Lowes) & cover it all up with header wrap.
-Lowracer-

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
The pipe is a pocket bike expansion chamber ($20 on eBay), the header is a custom unit & looks to be about the correct length. I would buy the cheaper one, cut it, & fab up my own 12" header (flex pipe at Lowes) & cover it all up with header wrap.
-Lowracer-
Thank you Lowracer

map

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
These are the two styles I use the most. The smoother curved pipe has a great straight through silencer with a 1'' outlet. This is the pipe currently on My Pig.

This pipe is the most common find in my local scooter store junk piles and can easily be had for $10-15 bucks. It usually has a smaller silencer than the other but it still works quite well. A bit quieter.

Last edited:

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
That's the same pipe I put on my Mongoose race bike except I cut off the muffler and welded on a straight stinger because the muffler was a little too restrictive. It could use a couple inches more header length but it works pretty good. It was $10 + $10 shipping on ebay. It seems to be the same expansion chamber as the SBP pipe but it has been cut and clocked differently.

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
That's the same pipe I put on my Mongoose race bike except I cut off the muffler and welded on a straight stinger because the muffler was a little too restrictive. It could use a couple inches more header length but it works pretty good. It was $10 + $10 shipping on ebay. It seems to be the same expansion chamber as the SBP pipe but it has been cut and clocked differently.
Nice looking bike WB, is that a 20" wheeled bike?

Looks like you have a super small rear sprocket so Im curious to what your top speed is on that bike.

I have a 28T sprocket ordered that I will drill out to be used with rag joint coupler on a 24" wheel, Im hoping for a 38-40 mph cruise speed with an low to mid 40's top speed when Im done, ill be running a well ported jug on a dax GenIV lower with either my Fred Head or the Diamond Head Jakes will have out sometime this month along with an HD's Lightening CDI and Coil, I think Im gonna stick with an NT Speed carb on the build since I have got better top speed with them than I've been able to get out of the RT Dellorto Clone carbs, the RT is better on the bottom end but WOT top speed is better by 3-4mph with the little NT carbs.

By the way that pipe looks good on that bike, I may try to run mine down low like that also.

Map
.wee.

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
Thanks Map, yes its a 20" bike, the top speed is 42mph so far(Although I hit 45 a couple times earlier which must have been a bogus reading) and I believe it will gain a little more with more breakin time since it only has about a gallon on it so far. Its a 23t sprocket drilled to bolt up to a disc brake hub and the engine is a DAX gen4 w/Fred Head, HD Lightning CDI, speed carb w/72 jet at sea level, intake port height has been lowered 1mm, exhaust raised 2mm and transfer ports raised 1mm, and the piston skirt cut to match port and the usual transfer port cleanup and intake/exhaust slightly enlarged.

I had a 30t during engine breakin before any engine work and top speed was about 32mph. I also tried a 20t which was to high geared, and a 22t that pulled ok but the 23 had the same top speed but more midrange. I agree with you on the Speed carb having better top end than the RT, I have seen this on every engine I have modified so far but it seems on a nearly stock engine the RT is better on the top end.

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Yeah WB I have one bike that hit 45mph running a 36 T on a 26" wheel bike, then I though I would go with the RT carb and my top cruise speed dropped to 42mph, im gonna go back to an NT on it and drop to a 30T and see where my cruise speed is then.

Should be really good once I get everything dialed in right.

Map
.wee.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Hey, Shan.
I think I remember something like that from the late 60s. You had to be careful however and not burn your lips on it. :)

Tom

sublunacy

Sep 12, 2013
ontario
i was looking at that pipe yesterday. to bad the pictures hide the manifold and no heat sheild.
the ebay pipe looks like an aftermarket tomos refitted. no u cannot find those for 10-20 dollars in junk piles.

honestly for me i love the grubbee race pipe w/o silencer. i am still looking for a great tail section as im using heater hose currently. seems half inch copper is next. it has large midrange power to nice over rev then at 6500 it sings again.

it is about 30 bucks and very light.