White Smoke coming out of exhaust

GoldenMotor.com

Mjkx8

Jun 22, 2011
United States
Hey guys, I've been riding my bike for a little under a week now so I'm still breaking it in. The gas/oil mixture is 20:1. When finished my ride up this morning I turn the engine off and look down and see thick white smoke coming from the exhaust pipe. It also smells like something was burning, not like car exhaust. Is this bad, what can I do?

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
I wouldn't worry about it. Break in mixture builds up oil in the pipe, its probably just burning some of that off in the hot pipe. You'll have a bit of dripping too, that's normal with alot of oil in the gas. No worries. :)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You could decrease your oil content down to a 24:1 mix. That'll help a little. After a few tanks change to a 32:1 oil/gasoline mix. That'll help even more.
Tom

Mjkx8

Jun 22, 2011
United States
yeah i figured it might be the oil/gas mixture...and the exhaust does leak some black oil... I have another problem where the bike won't idle when I stop. When I come to a stop I pull in the clutch lever and it will stay on for about 3 seconds then die. Can someone show me a picture of the idle screw? I have a grubee skyhawk stock carb.

BikerMatt

Sep 10, 2011
Connecticut
I have the exact same problem, try to readjust your clutch cable. If the clutch is SLIGHTLY engaged when you have it locked in the disengage position, the bike will want to move a little. If you come to a dead stop while the bike is trying to move a little, the engine will die on you. This is of course, if you can't solve the problem by adjusting the idle on the carb.