Debating btween 2 frames-opinions please

GoldenMotor.com

Amanda

Aug 24, 2009
MO
Hi all,
This is my first build. Any advice is appreciated.

I have no mechanical experience whatsoever but am eager to learn.
So I've ordered a little motor from thatsdax and am debating between 2 frames. I've been taking apart and putting together a couple of bikes to familiarize myself, you know, learn to use a wrench and the tools that I used to call "the L's" but now know are Allen keys laff!!

Now it's time to clean up the basement to prepare for motorizing.

I was going to motorize an old giant acapulco hybrid/mtn bike. The frame is around 20". The reason I wanted to motorize this bike is that it's a little too big for me to use as a pedal bike. It also has plenty of space.

The second bike is a giant iguana from a police auction. I bought it because the frame is smaller- 16 or 17 inches, so it's more my size (5"4 woman). I bought this to motorize or use as a regular bike.

They are both in not too great shape. The front forks of the giant iguana were bent, so I hammered them in place. Not too sure if that's a problem. I can probably switch the forks so that the acapulco fork goes with the iguana frame, haven't checked yet to see if they fit, but it's likely.

As a bike, the giant iguana fits me better. How much does the size of the bike matter when riding as a motorbike? Also, does the amount of space for the engine matter? Would you rather a tighter fit or more space? Do you rather a smaller bike or a bigger bike? How does frame size effect stability or does it?

Thanks!
Amanda

Amanda

Aug 24, 2009
MO
frame 1: giant iguana

frame 2: giant acapulco

which one- iguana or acapulco, and why?

Last edited:

Amanda

Aug 24, 2009
MO
The Iguana looks like it would be a little tight.

I would not use forks that were repaired with a hammer.
It is a little tight but it fits. About not using the forks that were repaired with a hammer, why would that make it bad to use? I biked around town with it after hammering the forks and nothing seemed wrong. Hammers are fun. bang bang bang oopS!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The metal gets fatigues from being bent, then again from hammering back into position. They could break and then you will have a face plant situation happening. When you ad an engine to the bike you are increasing the speed, and vibrations now come into play as well.

I love my hammers, I have 22 of them, all for different uses.

Amanda

Aug 24, 2009
MO
Aside from the fork issue, is a tight fit a bad thing?
Here is another pic.
[/IMG]

Lol, yes. the bikestand is an ironing board.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
For a minute, I thought you were mounting up a new sort of a wing or something there.

A tight fit is a good thing, as long as it's not too tight. Too tight makes thing less fun and more like work with the end results being about the same.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i would use the green one, just because of the rear drop-outs (the slots your back wheel sits in.) since they are lateral, the wheel can slide back and forth so you can tension your chain(s) better.

the blue bike's vertical drop-outs cancel out any chain adjustment.

and i would NEVER ride the forks you repaired with a hammer, unless it was the only way to get home.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I love these kinds of questions.
I have found that a bike frame that fits me well for mountain biking (pedalling) is too big for me when motorized. A tall bike is OK when riding in spandex (under my baggy shorts, of course). On the motorized bike you will be in street clothes and don't want to rip your pantalones.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
A tight fit build can be an obnoxious pain, however if it works I think it looks more like the motor is supposed to be there and less like an afterthought...

...and I just like blue :D

Although I too wouldn't ride rebent forks, that's really not much of a problem as you'll find you may want a suspension anyway. While nice suspension forks can go for a pretty penny, check your local bike shop for take-offs. Many folks upgrade their front shocks when they buy a new bike and leave the stock ones at the shop. Many of these are of acceptable quality - they just wanted crazy downhill ones or w/e.

My local shop sells these for as little as $10, though I'd spring a whopping $20 to get ones with disk brake tabs ;)

Last edited:

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
watch Craigslist for a bike that already has suspension forks but other problems. If your patient you should be able to find a bike you can take the forks from for $30-$50. You get other stuff to save and a new suspension fork cost $150 - $850. You will want one with short (80mm) travel. Frames for long travel (100mm) have more rake. If the bike came with a non-suspension fork you want a cheaper short travel fork.

Amanda

Aug 24, 2009
MO
Hey all.

I've been busy with school/other stuff and the motorizing project sat for a while until yesterday. Completed step one yesterday--putting the sprocket on the wheel. It's kind of a bitc* getting them to not overlap! Just did step two--mounting the engine. Decided on the blue iguana bike since the standard mount fits it, whereas the green bike's tubes are fatter. That's all for today though, because I have to buy a grinder tomorrow since there are pesky water bottle screw lumps to grind down. Would post a picture of what's done so far but the camera disappeared! Oh wait! there it is! pictures in one minute.

I might need some pointers on the next steps. The instructions are kind of vague for me, because I'm not experienced with car stuff/engine stuff. The kit is from thatsdax and I'm using instructions from that site. Does anyone have a link to more detailed instructions --pictures are a big +.

Thanks,
Amanda

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Well TBH - gettin' the sprocket on the wheel and centered is prolly the biggest pain in the *** part of the build, everythin' else is far easier in comparison ;)

Do you have any specific questions? We're more than happy to help :)

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Hey all.

I've been busy with school/other stuff and the motorizing project sat for a while until yesterday. Completed step one yesterday--putting the sprocket on the wheel. It's kind of a bitc* getting them to not overlap! Just did step two--mounting the engine. Decided on the blue iguana bike since the standard mount fits it, whereas the green bike's tubes are fatter. That's all for today though, because I have to buy a grinder tomorrow since there are pesky water bottle screw lumps to grind down. Would post a picture of what's done so far but the camera disappeared! Oh wait! there it is! pictures in one minute.

I might need some pointers on the next steps. The instructions are kind of vague for me, because I'm not experienced with car stuff/engine stuff. The kit is from thatsdax and I'm using instructions from that site. Does anyone have a link to more detailed instructions --pictures are a big +.

Thanks,
Amanda

Amanda,
I have to concur with everyone that the worst is fitting the sprocket assembly correct...and a it is !..like BA says everything else is pretty straight forward....again patience is a virtue....it took me two tries and some skin of my knuckles but in the end,well worth it !.....Good Luck !

Laters,
Salty.shft.

Last edited by a moderator:

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Remember when you go get your grinder to get a couple 5mm set screws. After you grind down the bottle boss. Put some Locktite on the set screw and screw it in till it's flush. It's important to seal those holes up. Otherwise they will slowly collect water and gunk and drain down into the bottom bracket ruining your pedal shaft bearings. I just rebuilt my bike with a old GT frame I got off craigslist. I picked it up for $20 bucks. They had given up on it cause the bottom bracket bearings were ruined. They had rusted so badly that you couldn't unscrew the bearing cups. I had to weld a big nut to each of them and use a 1/2" air impact to get them out. All because they had removed those bottle bracket screws and water got in there. Just a tip to keep you going once it's running. Good Luck

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Remember when you go get your grinder to get a couple 5mm set screws. After you grind down the bottle boss. Put some Locktite on the set screw and screw it in till it's flush. It's important to seal those holes up. Otherwise they will slowly collect water and gunk and drain down into the bottom bracket ruining your pedal shaft bearings. I just rebuilt my bike with a old GT frame I got off craigslist. I picked it up for $20 bucks. They had given up on it cause the bottom bracket bearings were ruined. They had rusted so badly that you couldn't unscrew the bearing cups. I had to weld a big nut to each of them and use a 1/2" air impact to get them out. All because they had removed those bottle bracket screws and water got in there. Just a tip to keep you going once it's running. Good Luck
Junster,
I have heard of that as well......What I don't understand is WHY the bike manufacturers even do this....there are multiple other ways to mount a water bottle......I've seen folks use a velcro fastener and NEVER have an issue with the bottle falling off....HEY !.....velcro is AWESOME !....almost as good as duct tape ! . hahahahaha....

Laters,
Salty.shft.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
For a minute, I thought you were mounting up a new sort of a wing or something there.

A tight fit is a good thing, as long as it's not too tight. Too tight makes thing less fun and more like work with the end results being about the same.

Joe,
Check out how TIGHT my kit is ....never had an issue with it ....almost 1000 miles so far...I always thought tight was good....:D

Thanks,
Salty.shft.

Attachments

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
frame 1: giant iguana

frame 2: giant acapulco

which one- iguana or acapulco, and why?

Amanda,
Either one of those frames is applicable....sure as **** more room than I had on my first build....and as everyone else has stated....don't use hammered forks.....they're fun to beat on but your life may depend on them NOT being beat on....hums..... * If I had a Hammer *........

Laters,
Salty.shft.

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
Lol after doing my last build,depending on how much time, and alot of dremel effort, you can make those motors fit really tight areas. And like barely awake said they look like they fit more. But let me tell ya, the smaller the bike the more of a pain to do simple things, like even changing the plug,lol. heres some pics.