My Mountain Bike

GoldenMotor.com

MikeJ

May 3, 2009
Colorado Springs
Thanks for the nice photos. I have a jackshaft kit also. I see how you installed the threaded support rod. I have to do the same now that my ringgear chain has stretched a little bit. After a few more hours of riding, I'm taking it out on the open road.

Nate D

Jun 25, 2009
auburn, wa
Nice. I love the shift kit. Very clean set up. I am running direct connect. How do you like the shift kit and is it worth the price?

caprirs302

Jul 6, 2009
Home
Nice. I love the shift kit. Very clean set up. I am running direct connect. How do you like the shift kit and is it worth the price?
I absolutely love it! So much so that riding a similar bike without one is almost out of the question now. Funny thing however is that i probably wouldn't have bought it except for the fact that my chain was rubbing against my frame, and this kit was the only way I could get my engine to work on my bike.

It is well worth the money, easy and fun to put on and an all around good setup. I highly recommend it. (makes the motor a bit sturdier too)

Lenny_Truce

Sep 29, 2009
Nashville
Nice bike. I am gonna order a kit soon but I don't know if my bike is right for it. Its a Gary Fisher Tarpon. I tried to post a pic but the site wouldn't let me. I hope I don't have to go through as much trouble as you did.

caprirs302

Jul 6, 2009
Home
Lol, probably not. In hindsight I could have done a better job with a little more patience and money. I have since replaced th engine with a 68cc, and the damn thing flies. Well worth the troubles.

MikeJ

May 3, 2009
Colorado Springs
Hi Caprirs -

You did a good job! It is nicely assembled.

Here are offered a couple of thoughts from my experience....

The spring between the clutch arm and the cable mount is totally unnecessary. The internal clutch spring has more than enough strength to return the clutch arm to the fully engaged position. That spring will only make squeezing the clutch lever harder. It adds no value to the system.

I jammed a right-angle shield, made from the corner of a cardboard box between the back wheel and the jackshaft. Mine measures 2 inches by 2 inches by 15 inches. The shield fits tightly between the upper wheel arm and just behind the bottom bracket. I painted mine the same color as the bike frame. The shield keeps sand and grit out of the chains and off the shaft. The paint makes the corner look like a factory option and makes the cardboard water proof as well. It rubs against the jackshaft a little, so a dab of axle grease at that point helps. Another writer used a piece of scrap right-angle vinyl siding for his shield.

I also had to ensure there was a tiny amount of side-to-side motion available to the jackshaft, else the bearing would take excessive strain. I also had to re-align the big sprocket to the engine sprocket after I threw a chain during a ride. The teeth have to be in line.

Also be prepared to adjust your engine height a few times as the small sprocket chain stretches. You have to keep that one under some tension at all times. I threw the small sprocket chain a few times as well when it developed too much slack between the sprockets.

Go ride and have fun!

MikeJ
760 miles and counting

Last edited:

caprirs302

Jul 6, 2009
Home
Lenny, I have no clue what a Tarpon looks like, but if it meets the specifications for a jackshaft then it will probably work. If you read my story you know that I had to disconnect my first motor because the drive chain would rub the frame. Without a jackshaft kit, I could not motorize my bike. You may be in the same boat, so just buy one!

Lazie, yes, the crank keeps on spinning as the motor spins, but there is a freewheel on it so the pedals do NOT spin, unless I pedal them.