Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Worksman is #1! :)

I have champagne taste with a beer budget, even worse NO budget :(

I ended up buying a Huffy Cranebrook, AKA "wanna be Worksman Newsboy."

What impressed me most was the heavy duty 12 gauge spokes.

Is it ok to ask in this section of the forum if anyone swapped out the hub to a grubee hd hub and 44 tooth sprocket/ disc-band brake?

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Just did exactly that; a relace is about $35 & the Grubee is about $50, plus shipping. A plus when you consider that you have a rear brake (not just the coaster). My hub was not compatible with Manic Mechanic's hub system.

I assume your hub is not a CB110 Shimano; if it was the primo solution would be Manic Mechanic's
Hub Adapter & Sprocket set up for $50, plus shipping from Pirate Cycles, which would save you the cost of relacing and a superior drive system.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
is the huffy hub "strong enough"? to add on the hub adapter from pirate?

dont know, its a huffy cranbrook, dont know what hub it is. I think its a chopstickiloveulongtimegijoe brand! :). Im gonna check the bike now...

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
There is still another option: You could get the Shimano CB110 hub for around $30, relace ($35) & buy the Manic Mechanic adapter/sprocket setup ($50) for about $130.

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
No problem, the hub will work with almost all rim/spoke setups. The bike shop might charge a nominal fee for adding brass nipples (.20 each) to secure the spokes to the Grubee hub (is made to take up to a 12 guage spoke); I beleive your spokes are 14 guage.

Some bike shops won't reuse existing spokes and want to sell you new ones for the relace, which can get pricey at 60-90 cents a spoke. However, there are plenty of shops that will use your existing spokes; so shop around.

Another option is to buy the wheel set with the Grubee hub & brake already installed for $130, plus Shipping. Bicycle-Engines.Com sells them. The advantage is 12 guage spokes & double-wall rim. This will work if you are not attached to your Huffy rims. Final Note: Be sure to order the correct hub for your build, 2 stroke takes a different hub than the 4 stroke.

If you need any additional information, PM me.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Will Post This Just For Thought. Was Looking At The "hybriped" Sprocket System Sold By Bicycle-engines.com.

Many People Are Confused About It`s Function.

After Looking At It, There Is A Nice Option! But Pricey ! THEY HAVE VIDEO.

Out Of The Box With The Pins In It Allows; Pedal Starting And Engine Assist And Cruising.

With The Pins Out It Allows Pedeling Without Engine Drag. Engine Assist Is Not Available, Not Connected. = There Are No Thread`s On The Hub For The Freewheel To Screw Onto.

Here Is My Idea If You Want Pedal Start And Freewheel Cruising With Engine Power!!

Buy The 4 Stroke Hd Axle Kit From Bicycle-engines (have It Laced To A Rim).

Now You Can Install The Rag Type Part Loosely, Screw On The Large Sprocket With Freewheel And Install The Pins To Align Rag Joint And Tighten.

Spacer Shim`s May Be Needed To Keep The Freewheel From Screwing On Too Far, Thus Rubbing On The Rag Joint.

Now The "happy Time" Engines Can Be Pedal Started With The Pins In. Remove The Pins And The Engine Can Power The Wheel Thru The Freewheel.

Now You Have "stealth Mode"!! Lol If The Po Po Is Lurking, Hit The Kill Switch And Pedal Away Without Engine Drag.

It Looks Like The Freewheel Encluded With The "hybriped" Is Right Hand Thread, (left Hand Thread Sprockets = South Paw Have Black Sheilds).

The Hd Axle Kit Has The Left Hand Free Wheel Adapter Included. It Has 5 Holes For Attaching To Large Sprocket. Hybriped Has 4 Holes And Using A 16 Tooth Freewheel Sprocket Which May Have A Bit Larger Hub. Hole`s could be drilled into the hd axle kit sprocket for the 2 pin`s.

Just Figured This Out Last Week. Have Been Thinking Of A Thread On It. Maybe Of Interest To The Wealthy!! Lol. Will start a thread later. Ron .cvlt1 PS The "Hybriped" is in 2 stroke parts, chain system. The hd freewheel axle kit is under 4 stroke parts.

Last edited: