GoldenMotor.com

HalcyonCycleWorks

Jun 16, 2009
Phoenix

Attachments

sofasurferlinux

Jun 24, 2009
Davison, Mi
I did some posts about the discomfort I am experiencing because of the "pitched forward" position I am in when I ride. Now I have to ask you people, how to you feel actually riding a bike such as at the start of this thread. I'm not critisizing. Its an awesome bike. But so many builds are done with low handlebars and way forward handlebars and most of these bikes have no suspension. So, are you people young and agile or is there something I am missing. I find that I require to go buy a longer handlebar to get myself up into an upright position or I can't ride more than a couple miles.
So come on. Talk to me about comfort.

HalcyonCycleWorks

Jun 16, 2009
Phoenix
Well your riding the wrong bike. My bike is modled after a turn of the century board track racer. When on the track these men rode these bikes almost lying down on the tank. This practice increased the arodynamics of the bike and the rider. Yes, there were bikes that were very comfortable at that time , however, they are not for racing. So you should ask yourself, do I want to ride a replica race bike or replica road bike. I will admit the bikes are uncomfortable but that is not why they built them. I build them for style and a trubute to that era in american motorsports. At the turn of the century board track racing was the most popular spectator sport in the U.S. Yes it was even more popular than baseball! Now granted my bike is nowhere near the horsepower of the real thing, but that is not the point. The point is to capture the look and feel of an era gone by. Lets face it race bikes will always be cooler than street bikes. Even at the cost of comfort.
I did some posts about the discomfort I am experiencing because of the "pitched forward" position I am in when I ride. Now I have to ask you people, how to you feel actually riding a bike such as at the start of this thread. I'm not critisizing. Its an awesome bike. But so many builds are done with low handlebars and way forward handlebars and most of these bikes have no suspension. So, are you people young and agile or is there something I am missing. I find that I require to go buy a longer handlebar to get myself up into an upright position or I can't ride more than a couple miles.
So come on. Talk to me about comfort.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I find myself wanting to say something to express my admiration for your very fine craftsmanship and attention to detail. I have some insight into what it must mean in terms of your understanding of both mechanics and metallurgy, even if I do not have that knowledge or talent myself. It is like fine writing or painting, you know when you see it, the work of a master. Well done.
Silverbear

kiwi kid

Aug 31, 2009
New Zealand
Hi i think your bike looks awesome. I'm very interested in the internal throttle you used. Where did you source the throttle from and what diameter bars does it fit ?

RATTYBIKE

Sep 3, 2009
DFW
My name is Chuck and my bike is the Halcyon. I am new to the forum but not to the motorbike world. I have been building motorbikes since 2003. This is my bike. All hand built frame, forks, tank, bars. Nothing was used from existing bicylcles it's all from scratch. I hope everyone enjoys it. Please post comments or questions. I am enjoying the forum. There are many talented people on this site. I am so glad to see that there are other people that share my obsession. I just had to build one of these bikes because I could not afford to purchase a real one. The hardest part of the bike to build was the forks. They are a replica of a 1910 Harley Davidson leafspring style. It took me about a month to make the forks. It was about 3 months to build the frame and tank. Some small details are the custom hanlebars have an internal throttle, stich on leather grips, reverse clutch lever with internal cable, copper/brass fittings on the tank and carb. If there is anyone from Phoenix on this forum contact me. I would like to organize a ride, or meet at the Pavillions car and bike show on some saturday night. I usually go there from time to time. I take my bike or my 1956 Willys station wagon with the bike in the back.
This has got to be the best example of custom frame work I have ever seen, I wanna be at the front of the line when you start taking orders for these, really really cool bike dude.....dance1dance1dance1

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Chuck,

Would love to see pic's of your latest buld.

Anyway I'm always amazed with your works of art

C.H.

Last edited: