my engine leans!?

GoldenMotor.com

theonlyhek

Jul 20, 2008
Treasure Coast, FL
I am unsure of how to correct it... ,it leans to the left, the drive side. Should I loosen certain sides and tighten other to get it to move the 2 or 3 mm to right more?

Thank you all.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Pics? Are you using your mounts the standard way without adapters? If you have an old school frame your frame tubes may be a bit narrow. You may get by with shimming it then tighten down but any advice here is just guessing without a pic.

theonlyhek

Jul 20, 2008
Treasure Coast, FL
Loosen the mount bolts and make it straight, tighten the bolts.
LOL, I hadn't thought of that ... actually if it were that easy I would not have to ask.

My problem is that everytime I loosen and tighten, it ends up in the same position. Should I have to hold the motor straight or just tighten the nuts evenly, or both.

I am mounted on a Jaguar, the tubes fit the curve of each mount, front and rear, evenly and exactly. My only thought is that the chain torques it out of straight, or that the motor mount may not be completely plane. Like the right side of the rear motor mount is a little longer, maybe a MM or two, than the left, thus causing the engine to sit tilted to the left. So should I try to grind a bit off of the right side of the mount block to even my engine out?

Thanks!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If the chain is cocking it off to one side, the chain is too tight.

There are a few (several) members here with jags, maybe one can comment.

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
my chain is approximately 1/4 out of true alignment never had the chain come off ever. the tensioner should correct any misalignment problems on the slack side.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You didn't say what engine you're using but if it is a Chinese 2 stroke, in-frame I'm trying to picture how the stock engine mounts are working on a Jaguar frame. Because of the diameter and curvature of the down tube the front mount will require some form of fabrication to fit. Most cruiser style frames will not allow a bolt-in installation and need some work. The 2 strokes are designed to fit 'V' frame bikes. If your engine, assuming it is a 2 stroke, fits the Jag frame you have something unique. Did you drill the frame and use the kit mount? If so, is it possible you failed to center the hole? If possible please post a picture of your bike and the engine mounts so we can offer more help. I'll attach a picture of the front mount I built for my Jag.
Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

theonlyhek

Jul 20, 2008
Treasure Coast, FL
You didn't say what engine you're using but if it is a Chinese 2 stroke, in-frame I'm trying to picture how the stock engine mounts are working on a Jaguar frame. Because of the diameter and curvature of the down tube the front mount will require some form of fabrication to fit. Most cruiser style frames will not allow a bolt-in installation and need some work. The 2 strokes are designed to fit 'V' frame bikes. If your engine, assuming it is a 2 stroke, fits the Jag frame you have something unique. Did you drill the frame and use the kit mount? If so, is it possible you failed to center the hole? If possible please post a picture of your bike and the engine mounts so we can offer more help. I'll attach a picture of the front mount I built for my Jag.
Tom
WOW! Can I get one of those...? I am dreaming... I love my new MB. I don't want to show the entire thing yet. As I want to start a thread on my completed MB. But here is my rear mounting setup, I just used the extra one that can in the kit. I wanted a better way to do it; it looks like you did!

Thanks

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Theon,
Maybe I'm missing something here but I can't understand what you have done. It appears that there were two rear mounting blocks (spacers) in your kit and you have used both of them, stacked them end to end to achieve the reach you need to mount the motor in the frame. I have 3 kits and none of them came with 2 spacer blocks as yours apparently did. We need someone who has run across this to offer some advice. What did you do for the front mount? I know the semi-circular area at the front of your engine will not fit the Jaguar down tube. How is the engine mounted in front? Trying to help you here but need more information.
Tom

theonlyhek

Jul 20, 2008
Treasure Coast, FL
Theon,
Maybe I'm missing something here but I can't understand what you have done. It appears that there were two rear mounting blocks (spacers) in your kit and you have used both of them, stacked them end to end to achieve the reach you need to mount the motor in the frame. I have 3 kits and none of them came with 2 spacer blocks as yours apparently did. We need someone who has run across this to offer some advice. What did you do for the front mount? I know the semi-circular area at the front of your engine will not fit the Jaguar down tube. How is the engine mounted in front? Trying to help you here but need more information.
Tom
The front mount works... idk what you are talking about...

I bought the new 2009 grubee gen II, it has steel lined cylinders.... I will be doing a review and a completed bicycle thread.

Thanks for the help!

rmeloy34

Mar 26, 2009
Wallyworld Conn.
First off,what do you mean by lean?? if its what I think I had the same problem last summer.
My fix was to loosen the mounts and clean the whole area ,after that I shimmed it with some old tire tube and tightened to where I was comfortable,a little loctite and I havent had the problem since,although it pays to check your mounts frequently.
....hope this helps,im in my second year of this,im still learning too but if you have any questions please ask ive made alot of the mistakes allready..LOL.duh.

theonlyhek

Jul 20, 2008
Treasure Coast, FL
Might it be leaning because the front is not attatched?
WOW... I attached the front but is that a common prob, or just a joke?

I was sure that had posted a picture in my last post... I was rushing.

The engine is just tilted a little to the left on the top..., I have not tried remounting it yet. I should probably just try to loosen the mounts completely and try over.

Any ways here is the front and rear...

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Okay, I was right about the stacked spacers on the rear and I'm still stumped as to how that front mount fits a Jaguar downtube. Possibly the Starfire Gen II is a slightly different configuration from the standard Chinese motors most of us use. I was going to suggest remounting the engine but I think some research into the new motors might be wise. It's possible they have redesigned them to accommodate the popular cruiser style frames.
Tom

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Bill,
That would explain it. Have you heard anything about the newer kits coming with 2 spacers that apparently came with this man's kit? I'm wondering if this is the way they intended the engine to mount if they have indeed increased the diameter of the front mount to accommodate oversized cruiser frames. In view of the fact that he has the engine mounted, apparently solidly, I'm of the opinion that a slight misalignment may not be enough to be concerned with. Even if the motor leans a little, as long as his chain isn't hitting the clutch actuator cover and is reasonably aligned to the rear sprocket, I'll conclude that maybe he's good to go. Any other opinions?
Tom

Last edited:

theonlyhek

Jul 20, 2008
Treasure Coast, FL
Bill,
That would explain it. Have you heard anything about the newer kits coming with 2 spacers that apparently came with this man's kit? I'm wondering if this is the way they intended the engine to mount if they have indeed increased the diameter of the front mount to accommodate oversized cruiser frames. In view of the fact that he has the engine mounted, apparently solidly, I'm of the opinion that a slight misalignment may not be enough to be concerned with. Even if the motor leans a little, as long as his chain isn't hitting the clutch actuator cover and is reasonably aligned to the rear sprocket, I'll conclude that maybe he's good to go. Any other opinions?
Tom
Hey man Thanks!

You know I had a feeling that I would be sort of in uncharted waters by buying a brand new 2009 design. I bought the Grubee starfire Gen II, it fits the front and rear mount curvatures'. It is very solid, I talked it over with a couple friends and determined that chain is running true, and the sprockets are within 1/2 to 1/4 inch. The difference is due to the amount of angle that the engine is tilted, if it were not leaning they would line up perfectly.

I hope that I can find a way to solid mount the rear mount with one spacer, and extend the front engine mount, like 2door's. I really like that mount because of the rubber. The engine runs so SMOOTH on 20:1! I can't wait to WOT... Vroom Vroom!

.wee.