Dual stingrays w/sidecars a father son build

GoldenMotor.com

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Well gents, I've not finished one build and im pickin up parts for 2 more builds. These 2 are for my boy and I. We're going to make a couple WW2 military clones with side cars. My son's will use the small 4 stroke HF motor. (I have already stipped the unneeded crap from the motor) We will use a old harley tank, a solo saddle some custom handle bars and sidecar made here in my small shop. My son is a BIG comics fan, so I'm going to clone the Cpt. America motorcycle from the movie usflg Mine will be a straight foward WW2 military clone. It will use a 5 horse 2 stroke with electric start from a snoblower as well as an electric motor for even better fuel economy. Both will have headlights,taillights,turn signals ( all LED) as well as stereo,( got to have my country music) dance1
P.S. anyone know where I can get a couple remakes of the old solo saddles. Check back as the build progresses so will my posts and pics

Attachments

Last edited:

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
While Im waiting for parts, I stripped the stingray of everything not needed or in the way. Next thing will be a mild stretch and to remove some of that ungodly rake for more of a bobber look. usflg Even my youngest wants in on the fun???

Attachments

Last edited:

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Well R&D at works been keeping me on overtime, not allowing any time for my personal projects. But I managed a little time for this one. So I changed the rake on the frame to a more managable one, shortening the wheelbase by 4.5 inches, now it looks a bit more like a Bobber . Changed to a smaller front rim.(let me know which rim looks better the stock 24 or the new 20) Also my boy found some serious ape hangers for it, I may cut them down some and rebend them. usflg 1st pic stock rim - 2nd pic is 20 inch rim - 3rd pic some serious ape hangers

Attachments

Last edited:

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
WOW, I cant beleive the troubles this front end is giving me ! But Ive got it whooped finally. First I ran out of gas for my welder and had a spool of flux core. I officially HATE flux core wire, I couldn't get a good lookin weld. Is there a trick to getting a good looking weld from this wire? Anybody? :-|| This is the second set of suspension forks Ive had to use. On the first one I cut off the brake support (bad move) and the fork instantly tweeked bikes,No biggie I have a pile of junk bikes and stripped the forks off a 24in schwinn and of coarse this meant I had to make another set of 3 holed drop outs for the tire. However, victory is mine they're done other than a last hole to drill, proper nuts, bolts,and spring. Im thinkin maybe shoulda just bought the monarch forks. But it should ride pretty good with these forks, retro looks with modern suspension. usflg Does any have a source for drum brakes for a 48 spoke rim for the occ choppers?

Attachments

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Got some more done today mounted the plate for the engine and jackshaft as well as mounting the little 99HF engine. Hope this engine will do the job if not I'll toss a HF 212 in it. I'm only wanting 28mph. One of the karts my kids have, has the HF 99 on it. 28 is top speed with the kart weighing 235 w/ engine. The bike, sidecar and engine won't weigh that much, also thinking about using a 18in moped rim and hub on the front and a 16 in motorcycle rim with drum brakes for the rear.

Attachments

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
This was to be a WLA-Captain America build but my son lacks the patience to wait for me to do all the mods it would take. He is in a hurry to escape the 12 mpg truck. So it will look like a Harley w/sidecar, but it'll still look good. Mine on the other hand will look like the WWII WLA

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Well we stress tested the forks, we loaded 200 lbs on the bike and dropped the front tire from around a foot or so............... forks tweeked,,,,,,,,,, so we removed them and installed a triple tree,forks and rim from a mid 70s kaw 100 loaded 200lbs then dropped from nearly 3 feet. It took it like youd expect a kawasaki to handle it NO PROBS

Attachments

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Those fork were a simple fix , with hardly any effort and no welding. Cut 5/16 in off the neck tube of the bike top and bottom, installed the original bearring cups on the schwinn and used the stock ones from the kaw triple tree installed 23 crome ball bearrings 3/16 in. in each bearring cup then there is the triple tree nut that goes under the handle bar part of the tree was to thick I cut it in half run a tap thru it. Less then an hour involved

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Well decide to use rims off some (100cc) old enduros and dirtbikes had laying around. It now has drum brakes all the way around. Front forks and triple tree are off a 73 kx 100. I will install new street rubber when the time comes. Used a beauty ring from a spare tire cover the son drug home for a fender.
(Hes totally off the original theme but it still looks okay, I suppose. Mine will be a WWII tribute.) Cut the cover down, its a fender now. Bent some 3/4 in tube for a set of struts for the fender to sit on and to support the seat and rider.

Attachments

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Heres a pic with a seat he scrounged out of the junk/parts pile. I think its off a mini bike that was out there.Let me know what ya'll think, on how it looks so far. My taste runs a little different then my sons.

Attachments

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Ordered a 125cc lifan 4 speed today for my WWII clone/tribute gonna go with hand shifter beside the tank and foot operated clutch and throttle. Brakes will be on handle bars. I am also gonna build the frame with side car as one frame, basically a trike with offset tire. Foot boards instead of pegs. My 74 y.o. father got his MC endorsement so he can use it when completed. Hmmm, like the rest of my nicer builds its gonna end up under someone else butt.

Last edited: