Micargi mustang with a sbp jackshaft

GoldenMotor.com

shepdiesel

Jun 4, 2010
Indianapolis
Hey all so I am in the processes of attaching a sick bike parts jackshaft to mustang has anyone else ever done this?? so far so good. I received the wrong sized engine clamps but no biggie.. My plan is to connect the front free wheel sprocket up on the front and to run the drive chain with the jack shaft directly. Any one try this or know if it will work?? I will take some pics tomorrow and post them for all to see.

wish me luck

satoch

Jun 2, 2011
Chicago
I am doing a very similar project. I was going to use a Micargi Mustang but none are in stock. I'm using another stretched cruiser frame.

I need to weld in a tube for the jack shaft to mount to. I will also need to fabricate a bracket to mount the engine to. I am then planning to fabricate a gas tank in the frame. Those tanks that come with the kits are beyond hideous.

shepdiesel

Jun 4, 2010
Indianapolis
I agree with you i was hoping after I get her up and running to fabricate a gas tank there is a welding shop down the street that will weld it for cheap so i just have to get the pieces cut and fitted. What bike are you using?? This build has really been pretty smooth sailing. would have had it up and running a week ago if my back was healthy. I do have one recommendation not sure if it will be an issue for you because you using a different bike but i am probably going to need to order a longer jack shaft so it will fit two sprockets. I will have to run a chain from the front crank to the jackshaft then another from the jackshaft to the rear tire.

shepdiesel

Jun 4, 2010
Indianapolis
very cool. I dont think you will have to do any welding for the jackshaft that frame looks very similar to the mustang and i didnt have to do any welding you may actually be better off you look like you have a little more room. i will post some pics when i get home tonight if i dont blow my fingers off lol... Have you ordered this frame yet if not you should try chubbycruisers.com they should have several mustangs in stock.

satoch

Jun 2, 2011
Chicago
I have the frame in my shop now. I'm expecting most everything on Tuesday. I prefer to fabricate all my own brackets and weld them on as it makes a far cleaner look.

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
just a heads up. I've built out 4 Mustangs in the last 3 years. all frames have cracked under front motor mount. I'd avoid building off of them altogether as you'll wind up spending a LOT on repairs and rebuilds due to crap hardware and weak metal..just my 2 cents..

satoch

Jun 2, 2011
Chicago
just a heads up. I've built out 4 Mustangs in the last 3 years. all frames have cracked under front motor mount. I'd avoid building off of them altogether as you'll wind up spending a LOT on repairs and rebuilds due to crap hardware and weak metal..just my 2 cents..
Did you ever think of welding a gusset where they seem to crack?

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
the metal on all frames was about 1/16 of an inch thick and rusted from the inside out. I don't think welding anything to that is gonna help the inherent shoddy workmanship the frames seem to display..Each build came back with shot bearings in the wheels, coaster brakes doomed to lock up, and a penchant for having brittle spokes that would snap.. they look sweet, don't get me wrong, but if you're going to put $$ into doing a stretch, I'd opt for the thicker fantasy cruiser frames that don't have Micargi's name on it. I'm only saying this because my last frame swap lasted literally 4 hours worth of riding (on smooth road, no major bumps/pot holes) before the frame snapped. again.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I have almost 11,000 miles on my mustang,,,
I have a springer front which might help absorb road bumps and not transfer them thru frame
I am also running a 4cycle which inherently vibrates less than a 2stroke

I do agree on the shoddy components tho,,,all I am using from the stock bike is frame, forks, and pedals (wheels, bearings, crank...etc, all upgraded)

shepdiesel

Jun 4, 2010
Indianapolis
Ok guys I have got my bike finished keep meaning to post pic but haven't gotten around to it.. I went on about a 30 mile ride on Saturday to get used to her and just have some fun with my buddies.. Well while i was riding i went threw the gears and noticed something very odd. First off i have a Micargi Mustang with an internal three speed hub and a 66cc skyhawk engine connected to a sbp jackshaft. now that that is out of the way on to the problem/curiosities. During this ride i noticed that in 1st gear i had good acceleration and hit a top speed of 35 but when i shifted in to 2nd i could only hit around 30 but have slower acceleration but less vibration in 3rd i can do around 25 but slower acceleration and practically no vibrations. so i guess its not so much bad as confusing. I had kind of assumed it would have been the opposite way around. so any help on explaining that would be appreciated.

Ok and the second issue, i bought the disc brake kit from Venice motor bikes and apparently i didnt adjust them right or something because i can start off and be able to stop pretty decently but after a mile or two i am dragging my feet in addition to stop. so i am just a bit confused am i burning through pads or is it vibrating lose any one ever have this issue??

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Sounds like your gearing is a little too tall. Since I haven't seen photos I can only speculate but are you running all the gears as included in the Shift Kit? Is the 10 tooth jackshaft sprocket running the 44 tooth sprocket and is the 36 tooth running to your rear wheel? Also what size freewheel are you running on your 3 speed hub. With a 26 inch wheel an 18 tooth is about right.

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
I had that problem with disc brakes, 9 out of 10 times you should change the pads to a different material. there are three different types of pad material, Sintered, which is a pressed material, semi-metalic, which is a combo on sintered and organic, and organic pads, theey are the ones that color car wheels a reddish brown with the dust. Organic pads stop the best, but they wear fast, and i mean like you have to adjust the brakes every 20 mintues of riding. Semi Metalic and Sintered do better with wet surfaces and wear the slowest. Sintered pads create less heat and grip sooner than Semi Metalic.

So to answer your question, change your pads to semi metalic or sintered

shepdiesel

Jun 4, 2010
Indianapolis
no im not running the jackshaft how it should. because the angle from the jack shaft to my crank the length and how my engine sit it just wasn't possible so i put both the 10 and 11 tooth cranks on the shaft and ran one to the front crank with a freewheel and the other to the back tire and my gears. I attached a pic let me know if there is anything else you want to see/know. SO if what you saying is that my gears are to tall how would i go about remedying that?

Attachments

shepdiesel

Jun 4, 2010
Indianapolis
So I finally realized that i was missing the gear reduction that happens on the front crank of a typical jackshaft. Does anyone know what size gear i would need to run to the rear wheel sprocket to equal the same gearing?

satoch

Jun 2, 2011
Chicago
I've got to figure out a chain tensioner for this bike. It has a 7 speed rear derailur. This might be tough.

shepdiesel

Jun 4, 2010
Indianapolis
i don't think what i built will work for you seeing the chain has to move up and down but i built a bracket to tension the top and bottom of the chain. its real ugly but i didnt want to do any welding and real labor intensive work until i was sure it would work. I have put 60-70 miles on it, the chain has popped off maybe twice. i will have to take a pic tomorrow and post them... were you able to run the crank assembly the same as stock or did you have to do it custom?
Any one got any ideas on how to change up my gearing to get it right?

Last edited:

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
OHHHHH SHIIIIIIIIII..... I just bought a RAW 80cc (in the mail) for my 1 yr. old pampered mustang. maybe I should just put the engine on my electra? its a collector bike and kinda dont wanna do Fab work on it. Damn...Anyone have a 2stroke powered micargi mustang that has lasted, and are happy with it? aaahhh!!!