Connecticut Motorized Bicycle Rally and Ride

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Re: Connecticut MB Rally and Ride

Yeppers, the law CGS 14- some thing, I forget was repealed August 1st, 2008. Now it is 5HP, no speed limit other then the road your on. Seat height of 26" or higher and stay off the side walks. Do need a driver's licence but other then that regular bicycle laws are in effect.

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/lib/dmv/20/29/cycman.pdf

Motor-Driven Cycles (Mopeds)
Connecticut law distinguishes the difference between a motorcycle and a motordriven cycle, commonly known as a moped. A motor-driven cycle is defined as any
motorcycle, motor scooter, or bicycle with an attached motor that has a seat height of
at least 26 inches and a motor that produces no more than five brake horsepower. You
must have a valid driver’s license to operate a motor-driven cycle, but do not need a
motorcycle endorsement.
NOTE: Sixteen-and 17-year-olds must wear protective headgear when operating a
motor-driven cycle or motorcycle.
In addition, if the speed limit on a road is greater than the maximum speed of the
motor-driven cycle, you may only operate that cycle in the right hand traffic lane or
on a usable shoulder on the right side of the road, except if preparing to turn left at an
intersection or into or from a private road or driveway. A motor-driven cycle cannot be
operated on a limited access highway or turnpike"

But had been like many states prior to 2008. 50cc and 30MPH. Took me 2 yrs to find this!!! lol

But our Cops are great and just ask the usual questions and then tell me to ride safe. One was a Hot Blond who wanted one for her Dad.

Looking forward to hanging out with you good folks!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Was just thinking about this. The cops thing. They, each and every one here has been great! I mean that. The one cop I thought was gonna be a PITA, sat up on his MC when I was riding by. His posture was aggressive as was his facial expression. Before I thought about that, I smiled and waved. His whole body language changed. His shoulders relaxed and he half waved back and looked away.

I say this as advice and I never do that. (am wrong so dang often, it gets embarrassing, snork) But if you feel like your doing wrong, you telegraph it with your face and body language. A piece officer is a well trained observer of such things.

OK, will stop rambling now.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA

Good advice Dan, can't wait to be riding with y'all again :D

PS-do you have a cooler you can bring when you come to mine?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Also gonna bring that tent/canopie thing just in case ya need it.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA

One cooler is enough, we have a 12x12 ez-up so I think we'll be good. Can't wait to see you there :) Hoping to make it to fox's too

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island

Sorry Fox. I'm going to miss this one. I'll be driving home from Lubec ME. on the 17th.
But I think i can make the 24th.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA

Got a question for y'all, I will be able to make it to Fox's rally, but the bike I wanted to bring, the zipper, died. Will anyone let me ride one of theirs??? Thank you so much
-LS

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA

I will only be bringing one bike this trip. However you are welcome to use it if we do split rides like at dan's rally.

Jim English

Attachments

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA

Thanks Russell, I'm hoping that someone will bring 2 so I don't inconvenience anyone. I'll take you up on that if no one else has multiples.

Schwinn the Fox

Aug 13, 2010
Stafford Springs, CT

Dan brought a good point up to me that I realized for myself a while ago but I never really told everyone else about. The flyier I made sounds great. Theres just one problem... the motorcycle thing... I sound like a real jerk for putting no motorcycles across the bottom of it. The town of Stafford holds over 12 motorcycle rallys all around this time of year, and I didnt want MCers thinking this was one of them; otherwise I would have had about 100 motorcycles at the rally on sunday. I want to include everyone and I would really love anyone to come :) I just sounded like a jerk and I honestly didnt mean it at all... Im sorry I sounded like such a jerk. Forgive me guys...

I took the fliers down last thursday.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA

I really can feel both sides to this, motorcyclists need to understand what we stand for so we don't have enemies on the road, but at the same time, it would be an awkward experience having everyone there mixed together, motorcyclists go MUCH faster than us.