Quick Release Wheels

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've never been a big fan of the lever actuated quick release axles but I replaced my front rim with one set up for disc brakes and it came with the quick release style of securing system.
It's a Shamano hub and the instructions that came with the wheel were very vague as far as how to adjust the tightness before you push the lever into the locked position.
I turned the plastic nuts in snug then moved the lever in towards the wheel. I wasn't satisfied with the tightness so I relased the lever and tightened the nuts a little more. The lever took more effort to 'snap' into position but it seems arbitrary.My guess is that it is a 'feel' that you get after using them but maybe there is a rule of thumb.
Can anyone suggest something? I don't relish the thought of the front wheel separating from the fork at 30mph.
Tom

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
This might help? There is a brief summery and history here. I have had great luck with these type fasteners and never did run into a problem. I even had them on my China J shaft in the rear and for a brief time on the morini. [Rear] which I soon Nuvinchied after testing broken chains.

My friends that I have gotten into this hobby have a tough time trusting these set ups and I don't blame then but they work quit well!

Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Glossary Q

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I started reading some of that article some good stuff I did not know. I use a newer style Skewer quick release. I have not seen all of the ones out there. The ones I have been using have been around quit a while tho.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The contents of this thread might go better in the safety section but for now I'll leave it here.

I've finally found time to read (almost) all of the articles found in Goat Herder's link.

This certainly brings up some serious concerns regarding disc brakes and quick release wheel securing systems. I plan to switch my new front wheel to a solid axle as soon as possible. I've never liked the quick release things and from what I read, they can certainly present a safety issue even on pedal bikes.
The theory being is that the inherent downward force applied to the axle by the disc brake can, and apparently does, result in the skewer being stretched or broken and the front wheel falls out of the fork. There is also sufficient evidence that the skewer can loosen under normal riding conditions from the constant heating and cooling imposed on it from the heat of the rotor.

Nope, I'm not going to use a quick release on my front wheel. Give me good old serrated nuts and a wrench. I'll feel safer.
Tom

funderb

Oct 22, 2010
Florida
they work fine, convenient, actually. I use them all the time when I ride trails.
Most modern forks have "nubs" for retaining the wheels in the event the quick release comes loose.

I spend a lot of time in the air when riding my mt. bike, especially on flow tracks and downhill. Never had an issue. Even after many a hard landing.

If you are concerned about the tightness, use your fingers to hold on to the nut while you use the lever (in the closed position) to crank down on the tension.

Quick releases rule. Make your life easy.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
they work fine, convenient, actually. I use them all the time when I ride trails.
Most modern forks have "nubs" for retaining the wheels in the event the quick release comes loose.

I spend a lot of time in the air when riding my mt. bike, especially on flow tracks and downhill. Never had an issue. Even after many a hard landing.

If you are concerned about the tightness, use your fingers to hold on to the nut while you use the lever (in the closed position) to crank down on the tension.

Quick releases rule. Make your life easy.
You didn't say if you have disc brakes or not. The braking action appears to be the culprit here. I agree that with side pull, rim brakes, it's probably a non issue but the disc brakes present a whole different set of circumstances.
My fork does have the so-called, 'lawyer lip' or as you called them, "nubs" nevertheless, if things loosen up enough the wheel can come out of the dropouts.
Tom

RebelHellbilly

Apr 22, 2009
Salisbury,North Carolina
i gotta arya witha quick release on the rear of mine aint hadda problem with it yet other than tightening a spoke the other day. gotta rim the same brand but aint put it on yet til i run across a quick release. have thought bout switching it to a bolt axle when i find the time. i ride about everyday to git around maybe this weekend lol

RebelHellbilly

Apr 22, 2009
Salisbury,North Carolina
i gotta arya witha quick release on the rear of mine aint hadda problem with it yet other than tightening a spoke the other day. gotta rim the same brand but aint put it on yet til i run across a quick release. have thought bout switching it to a bolt axle when i find the time. i ride about everyday to git around maybe this weekend lol
gotta rim the same brand lol meant to put front rim therelaff

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I have bought mountain bikes with disk brakes and quick release skewers stock that were fine.. I think when it primarily becomes an issue is when 203 mm size comes into play . A good many of these are the quick release skewers. Google Because I am so tall and the suspension spoiled me all my front brakes are attached to big travel triple tree down hill forks. With 20 mm axles they absolutely will not come off and yeah the 203 mm rotors they stop on a dime.

Did you get Avids? 2 Door I saw a pict some where? Those Avids are great set ups!

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Yeah, Goat. I got a heck of a deal on the Avid brakes and a Shimano hub double wall rim. It went together very nice but now I have to repaint the fork where I welded on the mounting tabs.
Tom

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I think you are going to love that brake! 0 maintenance. The pads last forever on these and in the rain these brakes grabbed even harder for me! Give the brake about 1 weak of riding and the pads seat in even more. You will prolly notice it brakes even better than you may be currently noticing after this time.. To me there is just not any looking back after these type set ups over a rim brake.

I have worn some pads down took about 18,000 miles of riding for me with the 203 mm's, the rotor still looking Cherry just put in new pads and forgot about it.:)

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
I have the lever release. On my regular bike too. I'm on my second rear axle...reason? Let's just say a hammer is a little much for tightening the axle. LOL I was stupid then, well I stillam now. But now I'm happy stupid.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've never had a problem with the quick releases... But on my real nice bikes, I switch to a solid axle because of the looks.
Yeah, I'm not crazy about the looks of that lever hanging out there either but the bike shop said the cost of changing to a solid axle would be cost prohibitive because the kits are almost as much as I paid for the rims, on sale. I could have ordered rims with solids but I couldn't have gotten the 50% sale price. Greedy me, now I have to live with my decision.
I've actually looked at a way to fabricate a safety latch that would prevent the wheel from coming off even if the QR let go. It probably isn't really necessary; I'm just being picky and paranoid.
Tom

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Yeah, I'm not crazy about the looks of that lever hanging out there either but the bike shop said the cost of changing to a solid axle would be cost prohibitive because the kits are almost as much as I paid for the rims, on sale. I could have ordered rims with solids but I couldn't have gotten the 50% sale price. Greedy me, now I have to live with my decision.
I've actually looked at a way to fabricate a safety latch that would prevent the wheel from coming off even if the QR let go. It probably isn't really necessary; I'm just being picky and paranoid.
Tom
Just pull the axle out of the old hub & mix n match the bearing races... it will probably fit! ;)

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
I have a quick release axles on my mtn bike. It works great. My front is so tight. but the lever is broken. It doesn't stay in the lock down position, and my front wheel wobbles cuz of it but Ive had no problem with riding it with the engine going. Its safe. lol I have cantilever breaks and the stopping power is fine to me. I don't see a safety issue with quick release axles. I put my bike thru every test possible and I never have a problem. i.e. mudding on my bike, flying down dry creek beds that have lots of head sized rocks, doing jumps, braking hard, etc.

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Not really convincing me that it's safe if the wheel wobbles and the lever doesn't lock down.
You should find out why the wheel wobbles and fix it right away.

Is the wheel bent and needs truing?
Are the bearings bad or loose?
Is the wheel tight in the dropouts?
Is the axle bent or possibly broken?

Besides being dangerous the brakes must rub if the wheel wobbles.
It must handle badly.

Take it apart and figure something out before you get hurt....

If you don't know what to do with it take it to a bike shop and have them look at it .

I don't want to sound like your mother but use your head man, before you wind up cracking your head man..

TiM

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Tim gives good advice. Fix your bike or you're headed for a fall. A known but ignored problem with something as critical as your front wheel/hub/axle is asking for trouble.
We don't want to hear of an injured member/rider. It won't do you or the hobby any good.
Tom

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
I am not a fan at all of quick release - too many times have I seen people snap them when riding.

There's a certain amount of torque you want that rear wheel to have, and I haven't been able to reach that with a quick release axle.

They're cheap enough, and simple enough to swap out with a solid axle.