Can't Reach High RPMS

GoldenMotor.com

Andrey

Jun 7, 2010
BayArea, California
Well I have a bike with the engine at about 400 miles. It was running good until I switched it to a new bike with a smaller frame. I couldn't get the CARB to fit so I ordered a "Z" Shaped Offset Intake Manifold"

The engine starts up and idles but cant get like past 1500 rpm. I try to give it gas and it just bogs and sounds like it's four stroking. Only gets like 12 MPH max. I changed the spark plug still no difference. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
sounds like you have an airleak. didja replace the gasket when you installed the new intake?

check the gasket, check that the carb's sealed tight, and worst case, check for pinhole leaks in the intake itself. maybe the blind, one-armed man who made those awesome welds was hittin' the bottle before he made yours...

Elixys

Sep 14, 2010
Midland, TX
ouch.....dont talk about hairline cracks......one of those on a cheap billet intake manifold managed to snap and send a shard of manifold into the engine and ate my cylinder wall up....had to replace the whole top end.......but yeah it sounds like an air leak.....

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
You might want to take you manifold flange and"paint"the mounting surface with magic marker.Poor man's Dykem!
Then find a nice flat surface,example=drill press table,sheet of glass,ect, and a sheet of sand paper,hold the sand paper on the flat surface with one hand and rub the"painted"surface of the manifold on the sand paper.
This will show you how warped the manifold is from those awsum welds.
Just keep rubbing the manifold on the sand paper till the marker is gone.
Then re-install the manifold.You might want to check the carb end of that manifold also because the weld is so close to the end the end could be warped out of round.
"Just thought about another thing" ANYBODY THAT HAS THESE WELDED MANIFOLDS" if you didn't when you installed the motor! Take it off and check the inside!!
You wouldn't believe the welding flash I've dremeled out of the inside of these things!Not only does it restrick the peformance if it ever broke loose from vibration it would kill your motor!Kip.
[email protected]

Last edited: