80cc bicycle kit "knocking sound" HELP

GoldenMotor.com

kevin2100

Sep 6, 2010
NA
i have a 80cc bicycle engine kit, and i noticed then when i ride the bike in neutral or engaged their is a loud "knocking" sound comming from the motor. It sounds like the sound is comming from the back of the motor where the clutch essambly is or the sprocket is. Im not sure what to do, i tried taking off the sprocket cover but to no avail. Who ever assembled the motor put the screws on way to tight and i cannot get the screws off, so i went to the clutch side with the gears and got that cover off but dont know where to go from their. I have a feeling that something is loose and needs to be tightened but not sure how to do it or what to do.

kevin2100

Sep 6, 2010
NA
i think i will try that, i need to get those screws out either way. Thankyou for your response.

In the meen time i tried lubing up the chain and that seemed to help cut down on the noise.

kevin2100

Sep 6, 2010
NA
i looked inside the sprocket cover and i see aluminum shavings i think the sprocket is hitting somwhere inside, i have a dremel so once i get it off im gunna try that idea, thankx for the response

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
i looked inside the sprocket cover and i see aluminum shavings i think the sprocket is hitting somwhere inside, i have a dremel so once i get it off im gunna try that idea, thankx for the response
I don't think it's the sprocket itself hitting anything (of course, if it were, that would be really bad). And it probably isn't Opportunity knocking either. I think it's your chain knocking around in there. Lubing the chain will help a little. Making sure the engine and drive sprocket are mounted in perfect allignment with the rear wheel (or as close as humanly possible) will help more. But you may have to get that cover off and examine it, see the place(s) where the chain is banging it, and maybe find a way to file or grind the "in-the-way" area back a bit, or down a bit, or whatever. Don't ruin the cover doing it, but you may be able to gain needed clearance this way.
(ADDITION:) Oh, now I see the dremel suggestion. Well, yeah. Like he said :).

Last edited: