2010 Grubee 48cc slant

GoldenMotor.com

FLSTC4ME

Aug 26, 2010
GA
Hey all, new member here. Ordered a new 2010 Skyhawk GT2b 48cc angle fire slant head. This will be my first build and I want to hear from the experts. What can I expect from this engine? Should I have gone bigger? Are there any qwerks I should know about? Any advice or input would be appreciated.

I thought I did my research and I thought this would be a good engine to start w/. After reading more posts, I'm beginning to wonder if I just wasted my money. Thanks.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
What bike are you putting it on, exactly?
Is it new or used?
Is this just for fun or for reliable transpiration for years?
Do you want to go fast?
And what is you budget?

You bought a new 2010 Grubee so as far as motor goes you won't get junk.
I haven't tried one yet but the improvements sound great, especially the carb.

Going bigger depends on your state laws and how you might want to disguise it.
It's not hard by the way ;-}

Since the 2010 Skyhawk's are only available from gasbike.net and all cost the same, motor size and color only depends on that and how you plan to ride.

If gas mileage is your main goal then the 48 should save some, and it is not quite as loud, but just barley.
It is however pretty gutless (well the 2009's anyway) but as far as top end goes the 48 and 66's are pretty close as they have the same kit gears and RPM max.

It just takes longer to get to speed on a 48 than a 66, but it will start by just breathing on it.

The first questions I asked are important as it is hard to give advice without that.

Again I haven't tried a new 2010 kit yet, but built 7 bikes with 2009 Skyhawks of 48 and 66cc and tried a few on a different combination's of things.

For example my ride is a stock 48 but with a Jackshaft to a 3-speed hub that can outperform a stock direct drive 66 in every way.
It paled in comparison to a direct drive 66 with an ~$80 Expansion Chamber however.

Again, it all it depends on what you want it for and your budget.

Nougat said it just like I would have. Only thing I'd say different is that Grubee kits are supposed to have bigger bearings than others. 203 bearings instead of 202 (whatever that means). The Grubee Gen IIs had steel sleeves in the cylinder but I think all are pretty much chrome bore cylinders now. I used removable loc-tite on every nut and it has paid off. These engines are like early motorcycles in that you will have to tinker with them on a regular basis. I still think Grubees are the best and a 48cc kit is not bad.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Expect some engine vibration, some are more than others but all will have some at high revs, and yes take your time and come back here regularly with any questions you may have, lots of sharp fella's around hear that can help you avoid many problems and help resolve the ones you don't.

As for the Grubee engine.......from what I can tell the only difference is the sticker on it, I have BGF ebay bought engines that I have had less issues with than I have read about on here with some of the 'Grubee's", all of these engines are thrown together in Chinese make shift plants with get-em done, get-em out, and get the money asap ambitions so as far as I can tell every so called "BRAND" of these engines is a crap shoot and you may get a good one and you may not no matter what sticker is on the side cover, thats why they all cost about the same and come with the same parts in the kit with some having an extra throwed in here and there.

Cheap to buy, cheap to build, cheap to run and just a big pile of fun to ride, good luck with your build and ride safe when it's done.
Shan