Should my Coil be soaked in Gas?

GoldenMotor.com

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Hi all, I was out for a ride across town and stopped for a slice of pizza. It wouldn't start after that, and I had to pedal the bugger back home(5k). I figured my CDI is fried, but when I took my side cover off, to check if a wire melted or something, the Magneto was drenched in Gas. Is this normal? I'm sure it's not water, I haven't had her out in the rain and I store her in my kitchen.

So, could the gas have shorted out everything and killed my magneto? Do I need a new seal? Can I even get a new seal for her? Oh, she's a 46cc from BC, not sure of the brand. It was running great before that damned pizza.

Thanks in advance.

:-||

Last edited:

Gator Wrestler

Jan 22, 2009
Springfield LA
I think that you are talking about the magneto. The coil sometimes called the cdi , is the black unit that the spark plug wire comes out of. Sounds like fuel has leaked and soaked your magneto. DON'T try to start it untill it is dry! Bad things happen when fuel is exposed to a spark in this area. After it's dry I would clean it as good as possible with Q-tips. When you put the cover back on it would help to seal it with silicon to prevent this happening again. You must also find the source of the fuel leak and repair before riding. You should check for spark before trying to start engine. Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Also check the crankshaft seal behind the magneto rotor. On some engines they will pop out creating a leak between the crank case and magneto cavity. This will create an air leak which will lean out the air/ fuel mixture going to the combustion chamber as well as make a fuel soaked mess inside the magneto cavity.
Be sure to mark the outside face of the magneto rotor with a magic marker, a scratch with a scribe, a crayon, what ever is handy.
The magneto can be installed backwards which will throw off the ignition timing.
You want to be sure that it goes back on oriented the same way it came off.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Oops, yea I meant the magneto. I figured it might be the seal because the outside of the case was dry, and I run a behind the seat gas-tank. Thanks for the "Mark the Rotor" tip. I'll check if that seal popped out. But could that being wet short out and kill my (acual)cdi?

I'll edit first post.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Possibly. If the fuel has softened the lacquer coating on the individual wire wraps on the coil it would short out. I do not know much about paints but I think that after lacquer is dry it is fuel proof, so I could be very wrong here.
Anybody reading this that knows better? Help!

It would not affect the black CDI box other than preventing the magneto from sending a signal to the CDI box telling it when to fire.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Good God!! Found a hole in the casting going right into the case. Well, at least the seal itself was okay...

sorry for crappy photo, all I have is my old phone:

Guess I'm off to get some JB Weld or something to plug that, asap.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Roger that. I think the gas killed my magneto unfortunately. I cleaned it up and re-assembled, and held the black/blue wires while I pushed it around, not even a little zap came out. That should've zapped me, right? (just want to make sure)

Gator Wrestler

Jan 22, 2009
Springfield LA
No, not enough voltage. Attach those wires to the CDI and holding the plug cap(boot) use a nail or screw that is in contact with the metal contact inside the plug boot. Turn the engine over. If you feel a good tingle the spark will be OK.

Tom

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
thanks jc, and gator that's a good trick with the nail. I was trying to push and look for a spark too. But their is a good tingle with a nail in there. Off to get expoxy for my bullet hole, heh heh. Thanks guys!

Update:-
K, cool, I let it cure overnight and took it out for a spin today. It runs better than before!! Holy Crap! I guess I was losing alot of the air/gas charge out the side there. I guess I'm lucky it didn't grenade on me(the side cover i mean), it was totally drenched/dripping in gas, one little spark from the mag could've blew the cover into pieces(into my leg), lols!!

Here's a pic of my 'lil troublemak'r, nothing special except the under-seat tank, I don't like the look of the "peanut".

I do have a chain guard and fenders on her now too, (with modified front bracket ofc)

Last edited: