Water damage...?

GoldenMotor.com

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
yes, connected to cdi...i will disconnect and retry in the morning...but does that mean my cdi and circuit are good?

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
My motor quit yesterday, and I opened up the mag cover and got about 1/4 cup of water on the ground. You sure it's not the cause? :)

I've got my mag drying in the oven right now (found that tip on a random forum for old motors)

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
well, i had only a teaspoon amount of water and it dried out pretty quick...i also used WD40 to help...still no spark...I'm pretty sure it wasn't the water. it didn't die while i was in the rain...but about 30 minutes after the rain, while i was riding elsewhere.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Well I'm dealing with a no spark problem on a weed whacker engine i just bought new. I think it had a faulty magneto from the factory. I still have to decide what to do next.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I actually have all the water in mine without the rain. Was running great, then just stopped. must have been a lot of condensation or something.

Anyway, I dried mine out in the oven, still no spark. I'm wondering if the water caused a short or something and fried the cdi...

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I actually did a test that I think would work last night, and mine failed. I was about to post a new thread to see if someone could verify my results.

Mukura

Nov 30, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
Went for a ride in the rain, was un avoidable... rode it every day since, then several days later when it was particularly sunny the bike wouldnt spark up... condensation was the thing... read this thread - tried WD40 - was magic - thanks heaps guys...

Gotta roll out now, spot ya later - Mukura

dance1

Last edited: