Iridium Ngk Spark Plug

GoldenMotor.com

ZRTMWA

Feb 23, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
I know this may sound stupid but i read that this spark plug was "extended tip" and could cause contact and ruin stuff. I have a grubee skyhawk 66cc, will I be ok? i would rather not ruin it... do i have to add a thicker gasket?
Where'd you read that this was extended? Mine doesn't make contact. But mine is slant head.

Fizzbane

Apr 4, 2010
Canada
Sick Bike Parts

Extended tip, moderate heat range. Same dimensions as our other extended tip plugs.
Note: This plug may not be for all engines. It has not been evaluated in all engines. It may cause piston contact in 49cc engines and others. If you have removed head or cylinder sealing surface material or use no or a thin head gasket there may be piston contact. The purchaser is responsible for evaluation of this plug prior to purchase.
that is where i read it was an "extended tip" Just wanted to make sure there would be no contact when i threw it on there.

otis

Mar 7, 2010
Canada, Kingston,Ont
if im reading this all right, this is what i would do,forget about you original stock wire that uses the "screw" on type of plug,and go with more of a standard automotive plug wire that has ball and cap style,(i dont know if my NGK plug cap unscrews but i dont care id rather have a solid connection than by threads) i used what is similar to the automotive style when i got my MSD wire, i really believe you'll get better connectivity thru them anyhow than stock,specially the way the are constructed. the wire will be under or around 10 bucks,performance will be increased so id go with it.
automotive has really thin almost thread like conductor running through it instead nice thick copper wire,u cant screw it in its connected to a distributor cap

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
automotive has really thin almost thread like conductor running through it instead nice thick copper wire,u cant screw it in its connected to a distributor cap
um..... stock plug wires for a car are junk,how ever i used a 8mm MSD automotive plug wire with great results. and u can screw automotive wires into the cdi, all u got to do is use the cut end.

if u need pics,please let me know....
THANKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
modern stock automotive ignition wires ( or at least the last 30+ years. ) are carbon stranded for radio supression. this does add resistance, but with an ignition that can put out 10k volts it doesn't matter..
copper stranded is best for a small low voltage ignition, having the least resistance..

the plug wire on my bike is a scrap from my '51 Chevy's new wire set. which is OEM, 6mm copper stranded core with a rubber insulator

jauguston

May 1, 2010
Bellingham, WA
I put about a gallon of 32-1 synthetic oil mix through my Silver Grubee Sky Hawk 66 using the stock plug that came with it. It ran fine. I replaced the stock plug with the NGK 4085 Iridium plug for almost $10.00 from NAPA and it still runs fine. I am a retired mechanic and I cannot tell the difference in how it runs.

Jim

beentryin

Apr 24, 2010
goshen,ohio
i used a piece of monster cable from a car stereo install kit it just barly fit in the cdi,seems to work great,its prolly 10 guage strand wire.wee.

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
Jauguston...I think the spark plug cable that comes with the kit is POS. You should use a high grade plug wire with the iridium. Also the 32:1 mix should be okay. But I prefer using some other type of oil like Opti2 (100:1 mix) does give better performance...Chow.

jauguston

May 1, 2010
Bellingham, WA
Kevron,

What specifically is wrong with the wire. If the spark from coil gets to the plug it is doing its job. A different sparkplug wire will not make any difference in how your engine runs if the original is getting the spark to the plug. The way to tell if that is being accomplished is the engine will run.

I am using the 32-1 synthetic for break-in. I am going to try Opti-2 after I get a couple of gallons of fuel through. Opti-2 is made 15 miles from me.

Just finished installing a SBP shift kit. Seven speeds instead of one-SWEET!!

Jim

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Hi Jim - the main problem with the factory wire is that it's prone to failure - the main mode is on the cap end, but sometimes it will fail open mid wire, sometimes it doesn't even work from the factory. But yes I agree - if you are getting spark, a new spark plug wire won't give you 100 horsepower!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
i used a piece of monster cable from a car stereo install kit it just barly fit in the cdi,seems to work great,its prolly 10 guage strand wire.wee.
I did the same thing. I soldered a car auto plug for the spark plug end. More than 10,000 miles on that wire no probs never been shocked by it . I wrought ed it nicely and don't see a need to fondle or touch it while the motor is running. The insulation on that mega cable never broke down either. Plus the cable will never rattle apart or have a bad connection at the cdi[ rattling]. Mine is still just like the day I made it. I really liked how tightly the cable twisted into the cdi as well.

One could easily go to a hard ware store get a foot of that stuff. Catch a auto shop for a used spark plug cable. Save the the end piece from it solder it to the mega cable [fitting for the spark plug]. Last reuse the old rubber boot insulator from the old auto cable.

I used a mega cable originally because it was what I had lying around at the time. I put dielectric grease on both ends the rest is history. The old auto boot insulator fit the cable perfectly. My mega cable piece was also black so no one can even tell. Looks just like an ordinary spark plug cable.

Last edited:

allpurposeoil

Nov 10, 2009
White Bear lake, MN
hey guys looking to become a major player on here just to let you know i was looking on my companys website we have the NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs for around $8 shipping is extra so no need to drive all over town for boxes of spark plugs.

Brian

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
jauguston...you couldnt have said it better....if your getting spark then your getting spark....there is not enough compression to "blow out the spark"....and to say that the part is prone to failure well maybe....but is the preformance part not....i raced a long time and was put out of races cause the "high quality" part would fail in just a couple laps....if its working dont mess with it

shearbf

May 8, 2009
Muskegon,MI USA
I don't think gap is a really big deal. Factory set is close to .030 I've just left them there.
They do run well but mine cost $8.00 plus tax. Bummer!

matesrates

Feb 6, 2010
sydney
I have recently fitted this ngk bpr6hix....But engine had a miss i tried moving the needle c clip but made no differance
So i opened up the gap around 5mm
works great now....

When u guys say you gaped your spark plug to "0.25" Is this 0.25 mm ?????? Or 0.25 of inch???????

Please any comments welcomezpt

shearbf

May 8, 2009
Muskegon,MI USA
I go in inches, but it sounds you have just proven that your "miss" is not the spark plug.
These things are so simple & basic that it's allways something and basic that goes wrong.