#41 Roller chain

GoldenMotor.com

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
#41 is my choice chain. NO, you can't use a standard chain-breaker; I believe there's an industrial tool to accomplish this in the >$50 range, but I just Dremel the unneeded links off, knock out the pins with a nail on an anvil, and use the master-link. I'm a heavy SOB, and have never had a prob with #41. Master Links: I HAVE, however, had problems with the #41 master-link clips (the part which locks the link-plate in place). The general quality of the clips is "Light Duty"...like for a slow conveyor-belt system. I've had a few pop off, and even had to ride a few miles WITHOUT the plate, but never have split a chain. I've learned to 2-part epoxy the clips in place (not SteelStik...the clear stuff). Spray lithium grease on the chain once a week (daily rider): No probs.

stinkfoot

Jul 10, 2014
Boston
Wish I seen your post when I was in walmart last night buying the chain breaker lol. Well I lucked out (SORT OF). After I noticed I couldn't break any of the #41 links I ended using the #41 keeper and C clip on my 415 chain.

Results are holding up for now, I do question the strength of the #41 C clip. Doesn't seem as strong as the #415 C clip. However, I do have a field repair kit in my back pack with C clips just in case I encounter anymore mishaps.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If the master link clip is installed wrong they can get knocked off inside the clutch actuator cover. The open end of the clip must face to the rear when the master link is on the top chain run. The clip should also be on the outside of the chain; left side looking down at it.

There really is no stress put on the clip as long as the chain runs centered on the sprocket teeth. An off-set or bad chain alignment will put side forces on the chain which might account for master link failures or problems. This is assuming the chain is not hitting the frame. Even a slight interference would be enough to knock the clip off.

Tom

Last edited: