A note on piston circlips

GoldenMotor.com

il_10

May 6, 2013
VA
After destroying my last top end when a piston circlip came lose and chewed into the jug and piston, I started trying to figure out why and came to a possible conclusion.

I haven't noticed any mention of circlip position on the piston on this forum, and didn't think about it before, but it's apparently standard practice to place the circlip opening at either 12 o'clock or 6 o'clock.
If it's in sideways, at high RPMs it can flutter, compress, and jump out of its groove.
Since our circlips have the added mass of the inside prongs that allow you to get purchase with pliers or what have you, that makes even more sense.

So before you lose a top end and have to dig chunks out of the crank case, check those circlips!

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
After destroying my last top end when a piston circlip came lose and chewed into the jug and piston, I started trying to figure out why and came to a possible conclusion.

I haven't noticed any mention of circlip position on the piston on this forum, and didn't think about it before, but it's apparently standard practice to place the circlip opening at either 12 o'clock or 6 o'clock.
If it's in sideways, at high RPMs it can flutter, compress, and jump out of its groove.
Since our circlips have the added mass of the inside prongs that allow you to get purchase with pliers or what have you, that makes even more sense.

So before you lose a top end and have to dig chunks out of the crank case, check those circlips!
Here's a real world test for you.

Install the clip at either 12 o'clock or 6 o'clock.

Run the motor for a while then tear the motor down to see what position the clips end up in?

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Position is not nearly as important as correct installation. Be sure the clip is fully seated in the groove and is not bent or damaged.
There is very little danger of inertia throwing it out of place at the kind of rpm's these engines are capable of...but it's easy to THINK it's seated if you're not careful.