Phenolic spaceer on carb????

GoldenMotor.com

fonzie

Nov 13, 2011
Dillsburg, pa
I realize most bikes don't have the room but.....if you did, would a phenolic spacer at the carb/intake port on a 2 stroke be of any benefit? It would be there to reduce heat transfer to the intake tube and carb. My suspicion would be that it would not, but thought I would open it up to discussion/thoughts. Would be interested to know if anyone is doing it or have tried it.

fonzie

Nov 13, 2011
Dillsburg, pa
Thanks 48ccbiker. I noticed the intake tube was quite hot to the touch and it got me thinking. I would think that you would not want the gas molecules to pick up the heat prior to entering the cylinder. For those of us who are not running the longer offset intakes or rubber extensions on the intake tube, I guess this would be a way to keep the heat down on the intake side.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
General Motors did this years ago but the reason was to keep gasoline from evaporating out of the carburetor when the engine was shut off. It made hot starts easier especially on four barrel equipped engines with aluminum manifolds.

I really doubt that you'd see any benefit from a heat absorbing spacer on a 2 stroke engine like ours. Try it and let us know if you see any improvement.

Tom

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
General Motors did this years ago but the reason was to keep gasoline from evaporating out of the carburetor when the engine was shut off. It made hot starts easier especially on four barrel equipped engines with aluminum manifolds.

I really doubt that you'd see any benefit from a heat absorbing spacer on a 2 stroke engine like ours. Try it and let us know if you see any improvement.

Tom
As far as I know, the motors need a good amount of heat to atomize the fuel properly. I imagine this is why cold starts are more difficult, it hasn't built up enough heat yet. However of course maintaining a cool temperature (to a point) is critical for reliability.