Adjustable Timing Magnet

GoldenMotor.com

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
so i read about these Adjustable Timing Magnets a few months back.. and now i see piston bikes has them for sale right now.. i have some questions for anyone that can help..

1.. is it worth buying? i mean will i notice the change?

2.. dose it hold on there well? it just seems like it could move out of place easy..

3.. if i do get it, whats a good way to remove my old magnet? last time i removed one i got it. but it was a pain.. id like to make the proses as easy as i can. thanx

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I can't tell you anything about the adjustable magnet. The principle is sound but I've never seen or worked with one.

As far as removing the magnet (rotor) this is the best tool I've found for the job. It prevents possible damage to the crankshaft and rotor.
Tom

Attachments

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
right on.. i guess ill give it a try and let you know how it works out.. and this tool, is it common to most hardware stores. or would i be better of getting one online?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
right on.. i guess ill give it a try and let you know how it works out.. and this tool, is it common to most hardware stores. or would i be better of getting one online?
Earl,
I got that one at Ace hardware. It's a faucet handle puller but it works perfectly to remove the rotor. It's thin enough to fit behind the rotor and pulls it off with little effort.
The trick is to pull straight and not cock the rotor against the shaft. There is a woodruff key that is not machined perfectly and unless you pull equally from both sides that key can cock and bind. Also the crankshaft is only about 5/16" in diameter at the point where the rotor rides so uneven pressure can actually bend the shaft if you're not careful.
Good luck. Let us know how that adjustable rotor works for you.
Tom

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
thats a great puller right there 2door! as for the rotor i've removed the key and tried changing the timing it seemed to run best in the stock position once i put the key back in. I used a sharpie and marked the end of the crank with a dot and went from there. i have a pk though and the timing is alot better than in a grubee. I think Rhomell and jaguar came out with the new breakthrugh in ht ignition systems.. thats looking like the way to go. just my 2 cents