Water in magneto

GoldenMotor.com

zoomer

May 2, 2011
Arizona
I just bought this bike that had been sitting outside for a few years.

I had spark yesterday trying to start it, but no fuel. Went through carb.

Today I have fuel but no spark! Took the magneto cover off and a bunch of water ran out. I surmise that the agitation from trying to start it yesterday soaked the coils. I get continuity across the coils, from white to blue.

I've got the magneto in the oven now at 200 degrees. Is there anything else I can do to try to salvage it?

Also, how can I tell if it's a 48 or 66cc.?

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Really there's not much else you can do.

Though, this needs to be done.

Using silicone (preferred) or hot glue, replace that black gasket on both sides of the hole from the wires. This will help - but you're not done yet!

Get a front fender that will keep water from kicking to that location on your motor - it will be worth it.

If you're feeling adventurous, you could prolly fab up a small plate to block water, like a train's cattle guard.

Where did you get the bike that you wouldn't know it's displacement? Get some calipers and measure the combustion chamber.

zoomer

May 2, 2011
Arizona
I got the bike at a garage sale. It had been sitting outside in Arizona for a couple of years.

I'm beginning to suspect it may have been tossed in a swimming pool or something, as it doesn't rain that much here, and yet there's water coming out of the handlebars!

I haven't taken the head off yet, do I need a new head gasket if I do?

zoomer

May 2, 2011
Arizona
Wow, thanks. Looks like it's a 55cc. Didn't know they made such an animal..

Is it rare? Are many of the parts interchangeable?