Leaf blower

GoldenMotor.com

sisdavid

Mar 31, 2008
Daytona Beach
My leaf blower will only run for like 2 min and then cuts out, and thats with half choke. I rebuilt the carb and it does the very same thing. Maybe it could be my fuel lines are on wrong what do you guys think?
4) Is supposed to be a fuel cap
3) Is the position I am thinking of cutting the thin line without the filter (this line has no filter and is used for primeing the carb. it blows gas out from where you push the bubble thing.
2) Is the larger line with the filter on it
1) This is the smaller line that has the bubble where it pushes gas out.
I was thinking that maybe the problem is that number one the little line that pushes fule out is too long is this line supposed to be submerged in the fuel or is it supposed to be in the air pocket in the gas tank? Or if you have any other ideas let me know.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
I'm basing this on my weed-wacker that did the same thing. Is your fuel filter the kind that goes inside the tank? The in-tank filter sounds like its clogged. It should sit in the fuel, the bubble blow-by shouldn't matter. Check and clean your air filter(wash out with dishsoap, rinse well, air dry and re-oil) and gas cap(check that its venting properly), replace the in-tank filter if you have one(fish out with clothes hanger or something).

gl.

sisdavid

Mar 31, 2008
Daytona Beach
Thanks, I have a filter in the tank, but it is new so can't be that. My gas cap seems to have a heavy guage screen thing on it I tried to poke a needle through it, but the needle just bends like a hook. Good idea could be the cap.

sisdavid

Mar 31, 2008
Daytona Beach
Okay, new plug new filter, rebuilt the carb, gas cap is good. Runs perfect for about one minute then seems like someone hit the kill switch. Then will run again at half choke. Wake up in the morning, and starts up again and runs for about one minute then. The process start over runs on half choke! Any ideas?

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Take the spark plug out of your engine and make sure its clean and dry also make sure you have good spark, then reinstall your spark plug and try to start the engine by priming and choking. If the engine doesn't start remove the spark plug and see if it is wet with gas and oil, if not you have a carbureator problem. Make sure your fuel lines are hooked up correctly.
You said you overhauled the carb did you put in a complete master kit?
On Red Macks blower engines the master carb kit is about $45 a complete carb is close to $60. Make sure the diaphragms are reassembled correctly.
buzzard

sisdavid

Mar 31, 2008
Daytona Beach
New plug. Runs for a minute then runs on half choke after that. Seems like when it is warmed up is when it runs on half choke. Know it is the right plug cuz I called weed eater and they gave me the plug number.

sisdavid

Mar 31, 2008
Daytona Beach
Get a new leaf blower LOL. I was trying to fix it because I was thinking that if I could fix it then I would be able to fix up an old vintage Vespa. Well I guess I am not going to do that.

sisdavid

Mar 31, 2008
Daytona Beach
Any new ideas on my leaf blower? Would bad rings be the problem, and can I just replacet the rings only? seems like the fuel line gets bubles in it that flow back into the gas tank. mybe new rings would make it so the fuel pump worked better.

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Yo sisdavid Talk to a Toro rep today I have Toro 2cycle snow blowers in the shop and they won't run no matter what I do to them. He told me a 2cycle will not run unless it has good vacuum in the crank case. Most small engine shops have a tester that puts a vacuum on the engine this checks for leaks around the crank shaft seals, rings, and carb gaskets, if there is a vacuum leak into the crank case the engine will not run. These blowers have zeona engines in them there are 2 rubber hoses that come out of the carb insulating block and go to the left and right side of the engine block I found a pin hole in one of the hoses and the crank case would not hold a vacuum. I'm going to a local dealer the first of the week and buy one of these testers they run about $150 I would suggest you take your leaf blower to a small engine shop and have them test it. It couldn't cost more than a few bucks.
buzzard

sisdavid

Mar 31, 2008
Daytona Beach
Hey, thanks. That is probably what it is because I can see bubbles going back into the tank on the fuel line after it runs for awhile like the fule is not pumping. Just kind of strange, and anoying. Some kind of microscopick crack or something somewhere. When it runs for awhile it will all of a suden just stop running and when I start it again I can see that the fuel is not pumping correctly. bubles going back twords the fuel tank. Only problem is I inspected the whole thing and did not see any cracks anywhere. Very anoying.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have no idea if this will help anyone else or not but anyway. I bought some weedwacker motors to build bikes. I got one on the bike and it ran a little ragged. So I shot some spray carb cleaner into the gas tank along with about half a tank of gas. I ran the motor as best I could till it was hot, then shut it down and added more cleaner to the fuel mix. I did it again and then added more carb cleaner until the thing wouldn't start. I pulled it through a half dozen times anyway before I dumped the fuel. I added fresh fuel and pulled it over a half dozen times before it staying running. But when it did it was smooth as silk. I have to turn the idle down now before I can ride it but it does pretty well.

Not sure if this will help or hurt. but it seems to have worked for me. I have never been able to clean one of those diaphram carbs so it might prove to have been a waste of time. For now it seems to have helped. With my luck it will rot the diaphragm.

sisdavid

Mar 31, 2008
Daytona Beach
I did something similar to that on a two stroke engine once. I put about 3 table spoons, throw the spoon away when you are done or you will die from eating fuel injector cleaner, of automotive fuel injector cleaner in the tank of a weed wacker once, with a full tank of gas, and it ran perfect after that. Ya, it helps to say how you have fixed problems that way people do not have to go through the head ache of trying to start from scratch hit or miss.