Problems with aligning sprocket 2 engine, and muffler mount

GoldenMotor.com

Eal111

Oct 20, 2010
Columbia, Maryland
So I got everything on my bike (shwinn gateway) but noticed that when I tried to test out the clutch my chain kept coming off. There is plenty of tension but I noticed the sprocket is not perfectly aligned with the gear in the engine. The sprocket needs to be closer 2 the wheel but rubber spacers are making it impossible for me 2 do that. How should I go about fixing this. I was thinking about sanding down the spacers. Also my muffler is in the way of my pedal and my only solution is 2 try and bend the muffler. Idk PLEASE HELP!! :-||

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
1st do you have the dished out sprocket. Some are and some are flat. If dished out, mount the sprocket so if it was a bowl you would see the bottom. Another thing is lightly bevel the teeth (both sides) on the large sprocket. Most installs for some reason require bending the exhaust pipe. Do NOT try to bend installed on engine...use a vise and heat. Also...although I don't like the idea...some have removed the rag joint on the outside leaving sprocket to spoke contact.

Last edited:

Bike Monster

Jun 4, 2010
Conneticut
Alrighty, first make sure your sprocket is fully tightened... also make sure that there is enough tension... you can flip the sprocket depending on which way it is installed ... pics would help... and bending the ehaust you should take it off the bike DO NOT BEND WHILE IT IS ON THE BIKE! then use a vise and heat (blow torch) and carefully bend it...

Last edited:

Eal111

Oct 20, 2010
Columbia, Maryland
Well I ended up making my own spacer out of 2 pieces of cardboard and ductape. It seems to be aligned now. I also realized that the heat guard on the muffler was getting in the way of the pedals not the actual muffler so I took it off. The chain still keeps coming off and there is plenty of tension. I just noticed that the gear inside the motor is supposed to be grinded so its rounded because it is squared off I am thinking that mite have something to do with the reason why the chain keeps coming off.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
If the rear sprocket isn't installed perfectly straight & wobbles at all, it will cause the chain to come off. spin the wheel & look at what the sprocket is doing.

Also; beveling the sides of the teeth (as mentioned above) works very well. ;)

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Since your tailpipe has a heat shield I think it is safe to assume you have a 2010 Grubee Skyhawk kit.
I just got my first 2010 in myself.

Also...although I don't like the idea...some have removed the rag joint on the outside leaving sprocket to spoke contact.
I don't much like leaving the outer rag out either, but sometimes it does seem to be the best option.

Case in point the Pacific Capeland I am just wrapping up today.

Using the outer rag the sprocket hole would not reach the hub, and it was too wide.
When you can't use the hub to help center and sprocket and keep it centered you are relying on the rags and spokes to keep the sprocket centered and that stinks in my book and could very well be the cause of your chain problems.

The sprockets on the Grubee kits has a shiny side and dull side, the shiny side usually goes out.

Just leave the outer rag out and flip the sprocket so the shiny side is in up against the spoke nubs.

Once you get all the bolts in and loose fit, turn the sprocket in the direction of drive (counter clockwise from the outside) until the bolts come up against spokes and tighten it down in a Star pattern, just a couple of turns on each as you go like when tightening lug nuts on a car wheel to insure a good true even fit.

This will prevent the sprocket from rotating on the spoke nubs, as it would until gets there anyway.

This leaves the dull side out, which works out dandy as it is easy to paint to match the bike.

Note that sprocket fits perfectly over the hub, the dust cover goes on without a problem, and the coaster brake has no issues either.

Finally, take the extra step to size the drive chain so you don't need a tensioner on the drive side!

The kit chain has a master link, take it out and thread the chain through the motor sprocket so the bottom side reaches to the back of the wheel sprocket with the pedal chain on but with some slack (unless they just happen to match perfect of course).

If the drive chains don't match ends (two thin ends for the master), pop off the fat one and drop in a 1/2 link.

Once the wheel is on and tight with no drive side tensioner, put the tensioner on the seldom used pedal side to take up it's slack.
You can use the big bulky kit one (and paint it too if you want) or you can get a much small one from a bike store too.

You can get a chain breaker from a bike store or Ace Hardware for about $10 and a 1/2 link is like $1 if you need one.

I hope that helps you. All I know is it works for me.

Eal111

Oct 20, 2010
Columbia, Maryland
So venice motor bikes was dead on with what the problem was. The gear is aligned with the motor but its not perfectly strait its slanted so one end closer to the spokes then the other. I was trying to take of the sprocket and 2 bolts broke and one seems to be stuck so I can't remove it. Looks like I'm going to have 2 pull out the hack saw and chop the bolt in half. Time to go 2 home depot. Thanks for all your guys help. I will post and update on this thread and tell you guys how everything worked out.

Eal111

Oct 20, 2010
Columbia, Maryland
Ok so I just noticed that the gear itself isn't perfectly strait. I put the gear on a flat surface and noticed a slight wobble. How would I go about fixing this. I was thinking a vice grip and a hammer. HELP ME!! My bike should have been completed by now the only thing that I am having problems with is this.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Try removing the stock chain and using a KMC Z 410 chain ($3 to $15, most common japanese "bushingless singlespeed chain". I'm running one on mine and it solved my problem with imperfect alignment. Mine is close, but can't be helped because I need the cog away from my chain stay. This isn't the longest lasting chain but its durable and cheap enough to carry spares.

Following the method like KC Vale in post http://motorbicycling.com/f34/problems-aligning-sprocket-2-engine-muffler-24961.html#post231926

I am running the 36 tooth dished cog mated right on the hub, with only 1 rubber donut (inside the spokes). I've been running this for nearly 1 year. Works great, because the hub center keeps cog true, and the metal is held tight against the spokes where they brace. No signs of wear on spokes (12g). No wobble!

Last edited: