Finished my Cranbrook...

GoldenMotor.com

sallen42

Apr 26, 2010
knoxville,tn
Just finished my Cranbrook tonight. Still have some tweeking to do. I have question. I ride for about 5 mins and then it wants to stop running, like its starving for gas. I let it rest for a couple secs and then she goes again.

Attachments

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Nice bike BTW. I have a few questions to ask you (which may just help you solve the problem yourself):
1. Have you used starter fluid in spray can form to verify whether you have any Intake leaks. You might be sucking air through a place other than your carburator. If that's the problem, wise men on this forum can explain in better detail than I can how to find out, and how to fix. I rather like Form-a-gasket. But don't do anything until you're sure.
2. Have you taken all the slack out of your throttle cable? Might help you there.
3. I kinda doubt it's a fouled plug, but that might be a contributory factor. Might want to check that too.
I may think of other things to ask later but for now that's all I got.

sallen42

Apr 26, 2010
knoxville,tn
First thanks for the compliments. I had a air leak where the intake goes into the carb but I had already fixed that. I rode today and the bike ran fine so I'm thinking there was something clogging the gas flow. I'll take it for a couple more short trips to verify. I also had all the slack out of the cable. I'm hoping it was just a clog. I added a couple more things to the bike I will show in a new pic shortly and explain my lighting I've come up with. Thanks again. Steve

dance1

sallen42

Apr 26, 2010
knoxville,tn
I redid some of the lighting. In front I use a Security lamp from one of those you find in a hallway, painted the back black and mounted it to a piece of flatbar. It and the back bee lights work on a rechargable 6v battery. Since I dont plan on doing alot of night riding this will give me plenty of battery light. The back lights are those Bee lights one can find at a truck stop.

Attachments

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Sounds like you gas cap is not venting properly. I drill a tiny hole in mine on the top and inside, near the center. Make sure they are offset a bit.

sallen42

Apr 26, 2010
knoxville,tn
Sallen, how did you fix the airleak from your intake? Nice bike by the way.
I noticed the intake was not going all the way into the carb so I took my drimal tool and ground off alittle around the end of the intake (just on the outside of the shaft) so it would slide into the carb. There seemed to be a bur on the outside of the intake near the end that fits into the carb so thats where I ground if off. After that it slid all the way in to where it was suppose to be. The air leak was coming from the slots of the carb because the intake wouldn't go all the way in so air was getting thru the slots.

.shft.