HT bicycle engine clutch about to fail? Repairable?

GoldenMotor.com

kallsop

May 2, 2009
CT US
So I had a slipping clutch which was due to gas leaking into the works. Used brake cleaner to fix that. But, after removing the side cover, things look really ugly in there.The big gear has side to side and up and down play and lots of it. When the big gear is pushed far left, it barely engages with the engine gear. Compare the first and second picture and you'll see what I mean. In the first picture, the gear is pushed down. In the second picture, it's pushed up. Also, the cover was full of black dust, presumably clutch pad material. See the third picture which is the pile of dust emptied onto the garage floor. Is this repairable at reasonable cost or it's time to move on to another engine? Are all HT's more or less at this (low) quality or is there a better supplier?

mountain80

Aug 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
Re: HT clutch about to fail? Repairable?

I was starting to get alot of freeplay in mine so I machined the outer ring that has half a ring and holds i think 50 or so tiny 1/8'' or 3mm(can't remember which). It presses on and sets both the end and radial clearance so i machined a few thou off at a time till I was happy. Their is posts somewhere on how to rebuild the clutch.

kallsop

May 2, 2009
CT US
Re: HT clutch about to fail? Repairable?

Is there anything I'll need to replace other than the clutch pads? I don't understand why the ring gear has so much free play in it. Maybe it'll be obvious after I take it apart.