what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

SpeedWizzard

Mar 9, 2012
Australia
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Rebuilt top end of Skyhawk 80cc, started building clear gas tank for new morini build and started designing a V-Twin crank case to hopefully build on a CNC machine and eventually start selling them. dance1

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

Finally got my bike the way I wanted it, kinda. I really wanted a suspension fork but proved either too expensive or too much trouble for my taste. Did I ever tell ya'all I'm a cheap, lazy SOB.
Anyway, got my wind screen, speedo and cantilever brakes all hooked up and ready to go. I'm gonna stop by Bicycle Express to get some harder brake pads this morning. If everything goes alright then I'm riding it out to my girlfriends house for a little R&R. Thats about a 26 mile round trip, Wish me luck.
A couple pics if ya wanna see it. One is the entrance to my shop. Sorry about pic quality, my camera bites.
fatdaddy.

Attachments

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

Thanks d giz, They have some great prices. The v brakes are better than the calipers I had but could be better still. Looks like I'm going with disc after all.
Thanks for the compliment on the bike. I've put a lot into it and am just enjoying riding it now that I'm finished with it, (kinda). I'm on my girlfriends computer and it's another 13 or 14 mile trip to get home. The bike ran great all the way here and should do the same going home.
So I'm gonna start saving my pennies for the disc fork and wheel setup. Stuck with the V brakes for now. That will change ASAP.
fatdaddy.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

For US buyers, check out http://custommotoredbicycles.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/IMG_1117.27795130_std.jpg Custom Motored Bicycles website. She has a generic mountain bike suspension fork with 1" threaded head tube, disc tabs and v-brake posts! $60

She has a bunch of springer forks, too. I think she has kits for disc brakes, and they can use a rear hub/wheel with an adapter screwed on instead of freewheel, to hold the brake rotor.

Thanks for the link. I will have to see what the shipping and duties bring that to in Texas.
I will just stick with the rigid fork and v-brake plate, but I'll pass it on for the Dax Friction Drive Fan Club and friends.

Edit. I thought I saw a disc brake suspension fork in there, but maybe I'm mistaken. They do have a 26" rigid fork with disc tabs and 1" steerer, though.

http://www.chainganglowrider.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=37
There. You have to buy the "disc brake kit" and the springer fork.

Fatdaddy if you are looking for cruiser disc forks,try these:

http://www.chainganglowrider.com/mobile/default.aspx#P860

I have a set and they are 20 times better than the ones I took off.

And they look kinda factory on the "Suicide".

Last edited:

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK

No prob Happy,jusy trying to help. You may want to buy the disc kit from cyclesus.com as their dollar is worth more than ours so make sure to convert from cad to usd.

Chaingang and cyclesus both sell Zoom brand disc calipers,I believe.

I actually bought quite a lot from them at one time. One of them being the rear freewheel to convert to a front disc wheel,and disc brake w/adapter. Needless to say,although they advertise that this is possible,I'm here to tell you its not.
The rear wheel in question(24" wheel) is dished for a freewheel cluster. Tried it out anyway. Wouldn't fit in the custom forks I bought from them!

So now I have a sprocket on a ragjoint mount(temporary) on the regular wheel and a top hat adapter for the disc rear wheel I also bought.

Not to crap on them,just so you know,you know?

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

i ordered a mount for my headlight from them and just received it.i found the site thru a google search for a light mount. i also talked to her on the phone. nice lady with a nice business and lots of ods and ends available
For US buyers, check out http://custommotoredbicycles.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/IMG_1117.27795130_std.jpg Custom Motored Bicycles website. She has a generic mountain bike suspension fork with 1" threaded head tube, disc tabs and v-brake posts! $60

She has a bunch of springer forks, too. I think she has kits for disc brakes, and they can use a rear hub/wheel with an adapter screwed on instead of freewheel, to hold the brake rotor.

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA

Having my old rear hub overhauled; bearings went out, so I talked to the LBS and they ordered me another "identical" wheel. Turns out it doesn't have disc-brake mounts, so I can't mount my sprocket because even a rag-joint doesn't fit, and I don't want to use that anyway. I want to use the Top Hat adapter I ordered for the wheel. I can't return the wheel, but they're getting new hardware for my old hub so I can use that again. Spokes have a little bit of wear from the ragjoint I had on them, but when they go south I'll just relace them with heavier gauge.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york

finnished doing the full rebuild on my bike its incarnation 3 now painted the engine mounted it better(very little vibration at high RPM) black sealed the NT carb on the manifold finally able to use the chrome muffler :) also put my rear rack on and took her out i got up to at least my previous best of 32 MPH this time without all the vibration there is no police radar trailer to run past to check speed

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

I sourced a heavy duty "piston" BMX stem and welded-brace bars, caliper brake, and lever off one of my old bikes. I'm going to put it on my grubee beach bike instead of the old BMX stem and single bar. I am tired of the cheesy twist grip throttle anyway. I'm going to put the caliper brake on the back and run the lever on the clutch side, and convert my coaster hub to freewheel. Then I'm putting a thumb throttle on the right side.
I think it will be much nicer to ride with some real solid bars and fixed grips, and with the ability to move the pedals around where I like. I thought about parting out this bike or selling off the motor, but I think I'll just change it up a little and ride it for all it's worth.

http://images1.americanlisted.com/nlarge/next_bmx_20in_45_dover_pa_24968177.jpg The BMX is too small for me and the wheels suck. The frame, bar and stem seem pretty good though.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

I did a couple things over the last week. replaced my homemade throttle setup with a kit throttle that another member gave me. The little plastic pin was broken off (a common occurrence on the kit throttles) so I drilled a hole and put a spare exhaust stud through it. installed it on the handlebar and it aint going anywhere. I installed two brand new tires, a new rear motor mount, a new brake lever and cable for my front drum, a new kmc Z410H-NP (nickel plated) chain. Had a time with the chain. The side plates are 20% thicker than regular 410 chain. I had to wiggle the chain back and forth a bit and help it out with a pair of pliers. I moved my bar-end mirror from my right handlebar to my left, and moved my clutch lever about an inch closer to my stem to give my hand a little extra room. I also installed a new rag on my sprocket recently, and used nylon locking nuts this time. No more red loctite on those.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

I discovered my headlight and brake light going dim about the same time. So, being a payday, I was able to pick up a crapload of batteries. Enough to have spares. Headlight and brake light are once again as bright as ever. (Then I remembered I had spares in the trunk.)

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn

Ordered another kit today to keep for myself (famous last words)

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

What are you using for lights? I get most of my batteries from the dollar store, when I'm not using rechargeables.

I have a motor powered headlight and tail-light on the grubee, but I haven't figured out how to run lights off my friction drive yet, so I've been using 2 x AAA rear blinkers and 3 AAA bicycle headlight, and a helmet light.

I sometimes use this:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_355538-346-...entURL=?Ntt=LED+lantern+flashlight&facetInfo=

I discovered my headlight and brake light going dim about the same time. So, being a payday, I was able to pick up a crapload of batteries. Enough to have spares. Headlight and brake light are once again as bright as ever. (Then I remembered I had spares in the trunk.)

LaLongueCarabine

Aug 15, 2011
United States

What are you using for lights? I get most of my batteries from the dollar store, when I'm not using rechargeables.

I have a motor powered headlight and tail-light on the grubee, but I haven't figured out how to run lights off my friction drive yet, so I've been using 2 x AAA rear blinkers and 3 AAA bicycle headlight, and a helmet light.

I sometimes use this:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_355538-346-...entURL=?Ntt=LED+lantern+flashlight&facetInfo=
Brilliant! A 9 volt lamp puts out a beam!

Great idea, uh, how do you mount it?

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

Here's some sock forks,finally!

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=310434165914&index=5&nav=SEARCH&nid=56590120002

Not the right brakes for me,but that coloring is PERFECT for my bike,of course. And the bidding could get nasty.
Looks like it already got nasty d giz. Almost $70 (after shipping) for USED forks. I know the good stuff goes for 3 or 4 hundred bucks new, but I'm not using my bike in competition, I don't need the best, just adequate. This is why I gave up and put solids on. I did get over to Bicycle Express and got some harder pads for it. They seem to be working fine so far.
I'm kinda wishing now that I had got a bike with a 1 1/8" headset, But so far thats the only thing I would change on my bike.
Just got an old 1940's Walker Turner drill press that works better than my newer one. ( pic is one just like it.) They used to build things to last. I'll be setting that up today if my girlfriend don't get in my way. (But that might be OK too.)
fatdaddy.

Attachments