Mini Blower

GoldenMotor.com

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I am sure this has been done so am looking for feed back before I try it. As a "use-to-be" computer tech I have a crate full of computer mini blowers that operate on 5v. I am wondering what the performance results have been or if there is any advantage to setting up the blower to force air into the carb. It would be easy to install between the air filter and the carb to force air in. Any body try this? From the motor heads here is the theory even sound?

crobo

Mar 24, 2010
boston ma
you would most likely end up blowing alot of charged( fuel rich) air right through the engine. also, there is a considerable amount of blowback with these engines so that might also gum up the works.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
i've been looking into this SuperchargerPost
if you could find a small one off of a yugo or geo would be fun to play with. and yes you can supercharge a 2 cyl. engine, you just don't want to use so much boost that you blow the crank seals.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Actually what I have are not the little square fan thing it is more like a squirrel cage blower, for an expansion slot on a PC it moves air quite efficiently but I doubt it it moves the volume neccsary to make a difference

Clotho

May 25, 2008
i've been looking into this SuperchargerPost
if you could find a small one off of a yugo or geo would be fun to play with. and yes you can supercharge a 2 cyl. engine, you just don't want to use so much boost that you blow the crank seals.
You aren't going to turbo/supercharge a Chinese 2 stroke. The effort and expense go far beyond the reward and in the end you have to change so much it isn't a Chinese 2 stroke anymore.

To begin with there are no exhaust valves so you have to figure out how to contain any boost. Open exhaust port = no boost. The only way to achieve this on a piston ported 2 stroke is with the use of an expansion chamber. Even then this creates a boost condition in only the very narrow band the expansion chamber is tuned to. This makes for an extremely peaky motor that is unsuitable for street use.

Beyond the problem of having no exhaust valves you still have to solve a myriad of other problems regarding cooling, strength, reeds, and yes even the seals you mentioned.

I have only ever seen one example of a piston ported 2 stroke being boosted and it was on a water cooled Minarelli race engine designed for the salt flats. Even the builder said the motor was extremely peaky. http://www.buddfab.net/motor.html

The motor they started with is so superior to a Chengine in every way it is like comparing a million dollar formula 1 motor to whatever is under the hood of a Yugo. In fact it would be easier to boost the Yugo than a Chengine. At least it is a 4 stroke.

If you are interested in turbo/supercharging a 50cc motor at least start with something like one of the 4 stroke Honda's. Being a 4 stroke and having an exhaust valve makes the potential for success much much greater. I would be much more interested in seeing the results of experiments with a smog pump on a 4 stroke. Is a smog pump a fan or a compressor?

To the OP, A fan and a compressor are two different things. To create boost for a motor you need a compressor. This subject has been discussed many times before and if you search you will find lots of information. People have even tried the computer fan idea before and tried to augment it with a venturi type enclosure. (google 'venturi effect').

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
The best thing you could do is make a good freefowing aircleaner.
Then you could make a good freeflowing exhaust. Thats all you need fast in and fast out,lol.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I was no necassarily looking for a turbo or super charger I was just wondering if there was any benefit to such a set up and if any one had tried it. The fact that a free flowing air filter was mentioned tells me that the blower might be a convoluted why to achieve the same results. Sure the Free Flow air filter might be easier, but does it have the same cool factor as a blower hooked up to a momentary switch for that extra boost during your get away....

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
You aren't going to turbo/supercharge a Chinese 2 stroke. The effort and expense go far beyond the reward and in the end you have to change so much it isn't a Chinese 2 stroke anymore.

To begin with there are no exhaust valves so you have to figure out how to contain any boost. Open exhaust port = no boost. The only way to achieve this on a piston ported 2 stroke is with the use of an expansion chamber. Even then this creates a boost condition in only the very narrow band the expansion chamber is tuned to. This makes for an extremely peaky motor that is unsuitable for street use.

Beyond the problem of having no exhaust valves you still have to solve a myriad of other problems regarding cooling, strength, reeds, and yes even the seals you mentioned.

I have only ever seen one example of a piston ported 2 stroke being boosted and it was on a water cooled Minarelli race engine designed for the salt flats. Even the builder said the motor was extremely peaky. http://www.buddfab.net/motor.html

The motor they started with is so superior to a Chengine in every way it is like comparing a million dollar formula 1 motor to whatever is under the hood of a Yugo. In fact it would be easier to boost the Yugo than a Chengine. At least it is a 4 stroke.

If you are interested in turbo/supercharging a 50cc motor at least start with something like one of the 4 stroke Honda's. Being a 4 stroke and having an exhaust valve makes the potential for success much much greater. I would be much more interested in seeing the results of experiments with a smog pump on a 4 stroke. Is a smog pump a fan or a compressor?

To the OP, A fan and a compressor are two different things. To create boost for a motor you need a compressor. This subject has been discussed many times before and if you search you will find lots of information. People have even tried the computer fan idea before and tried to augment it with a venturi type enclosure. (google 'venturi effect').
the exhaust port leaks most of the charge anyway even in stock form, by adding boost you are adding more charge to start with. more will pass into the exhaust and more can be reintroduced back into the cylinder with a tuned expansion chambers sonic wave, it's not ideal or as efficient as a 2 stroke diesel with it's exhaust valves but it does work and will make more power.
we have a briggs 5 horse that we turned into a 2 stroke that uses the crank case to supercharge it's self, it made 4 psi of boost.

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
My advise, try it. I wouldn't believe this forum either, until i put an air scoop on my intake. Engine would cut out above 10-15 mph. Problem is that the forced air relieves some of the vacuum in the carb, so the mixture becomes lean. If you do try it, i would think that your engine would not idle, but would run like before at higher speeds. Unless the boost is adjusted according to the amount of air the engine requires (rpm), there will always be mixture problems somewhere.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Well I have the blower and I need to get the thing from Radio Shack to convert ac to dc and I have time this weekend so I figure for an investment of less than $5 and an hour or so it will be worth the experiment, I am surprised no one has tried it yet for no other reason than "Because I can...." So I guess I will be the first and report back for the good of man kind

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
i use heppa filters for ac units and cut tofit with1/4 inch screen as a backing also drill out the mufflers, has been much discussion about this so im not gonna go into it but these two things seem to make a big diff and nothing gets by those filters but they still breathe awesome,frank

Alajoyn

Sep 28, 2009
Portage, MI
A friend of mine used to run turbo's on mercury 50hp outboards (pressurized crankcase W/reeds)
The old 60's 44ci blocks actually only made 41hp on a dyno stock, regardless of what Mercury says.
(He's got a dyno in his shop for OB racing.) He utilized a turbo from snowmobile with actuated waste gate and dyno-ed motors set up that way at 100hp and they held together. Got 80plus mph on small hydro in the Grand River here in Michigan. All from a 4cyl 2stroke 44cid outboard.

Robert

Now to fit reeds to the lil HT eh?

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
That lil fan is gunna be caked in fuel and oil every revolution it will blow back through the fan and back into it eventually eating the insides away.

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
i wouldn't mess with a bridge rectifier because the voltage coming off the white wire is so inconsistent you'd need to regulate it and smooth it with a capacitor. I'd try it first running it off an 9v battery.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I hooked the blower up to a 9 volt, the output was not that impressive, I was hoping that using the Bridge rectifier and a switch to only engage the blower at higher RPMs the fan would blow a decent amount of air, but I may put this project on hold for a bit, my ADD kicked in and now I am thinking a trailer needs to be my next project but I will keep you posted I have most everything I need to try the mini blower I am just trying to design an air box that will fit on my bike, not a whole lot of space between engine and down tube for carb mod fun.

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
at that current draw(assuming around .1-.2 amps), your fan would be getting about 20 volts. The internal resistance of your coil is so that at half an amp, your bike puts out a little more than 6 volts. If you want a constant voltage, you need a BIG capacitor as well as a voltage regulator for your higher rpms. I just dont want you to work all this time just to get a fan working when it wont do any good. If you want to do the rectifier, try to make it for lights first. If you just want to try the blower, try 2 9 volts in series, or stacked fans.

As i said before, i totally understand you wont be satisfied with others telling you what works and what doesn't. For this reason i am just suggesting that you not invest too much time into making this a permanent system when you may just rip it all off.

Best of luck!