Sportsman Flyer Wide Crankset Again.

GoldenMotor.com

thingswithwelding

Mar 22, 2016
Long Beach CA
Anybody know why my new wide crankset from Sportsman Flyer seems off? I assembled it on my frame and when I put my cotter pin locks in, my cranks dont aim in the opposite directions, North and south, for example. Like if I have my right crank arm aiming 90 degrees to the ground, the left one isnt at 90 yet. No they are not installed wrong. The milling flats from one arm to another are not on the same plane. Or one or the other crank arms are not drilled in the same plane manner. I dont think they are made this way purposely. Please tell me board track racer products are supposed to be manufactured that way. What a bummer again. I hope im wrong. Cheers. Thingswithwelding

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
All Worksman cruiser bicycles use 415 chain. Some BMX bikes also use this chain. #41 also works. You mentioned in an email about #35 chain which does not work. Here is a link to some 415 chain on Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/KMC-415H-3-16...id=1461419626&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=kmc+415

Please read the add carefully, especially where it says:

Extra-wide, for non-derailleur bikes: BMX, cruisers, etc.
Compatible with 1/8" x 1/2" single speed set-ups but oversized for extra strength and durability

If your pedal crank arms are not aligning then you installed one of the cotterpins backwards. If you look at any cotterpin bicycle pedal crank the pins are always installed from opposite directions. Also, the pins are designed to be seated with a ballpen hammer and not drawn in with the threads by tightening the nut. The pins are then secured with the nut. Here is a link on how to install cotter pin crank arms. When you remove one of the cotter pins loosen the nut till it's flush with the top of the threads and tap the pin free, then finish removing the nut to chase the threads. Don't damage the threads as you only have two cotter pins. They are standard 9mm cotter pins.

http://oldbikeblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/how-to-replace-crank-cotters.html

I hope this helps.
Thanks,
Pat

Last edited: