hi po air filter

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i run the stock black box on my 24" Colson, and the engine is totally modded out, reversed barrel, decked head, ported, polished, whatever, and it runs fine. i took it off once to see if there was any noticeable difference, and i couldn't tell.

the main thing is to clean it out every other week or so. the sponge/element inside will load up with oil and bog you down.

people drill holes in them, cut them up, claim all these HP gains, but honestly, on a stock engine with the carb stuck between the frame and the engine, it's not going to give you anything you'll notice.

but still, the cool factor. that's where it's at.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The average "high performance" air filter may actually reduce flow compared to stock... as the stock "filter" really... well isn't lol tho it'll no doubt keep some gravel out ;)

The K&N style filters have a much denser filter element, their "performance" I figure is actually keepin' some nasty outa the engine. If ya don't ride the dirt roads and trails - I don't figure it matters much tho *shrug*

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
The average "high performance" air filter may actually reduce flow compared to stock... as the stock "filter" really... well isn't lol tho it'll no doubt keep some gravel out ;)

The K&N style filters have a much denser filter element, their "performance" I figure is actually keepin' some nasty outa the engine. If ya don't ride the dirt roads and trails - I don't figure it matters much tho *shrug*

I agree with this to some extent, but even our low profile AF has enough surface area, and low enough restriction to easily supply air to a WFO 67cc HT engine. It's interesting that many people report a performance gain.....in the butt dyno department (BDD) with all our filters. I mean enough people say they feel it, I'm beginning to think something must be going on. Maybe they had extremely oily stockmonkey filter mesh stuff.usflg

Yeah I wouldn't even take the stock filter to the end of the block. It maybe works OK when oiled really well, but......shft.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
If you have a dirty filter like most do,changing it to any filter will show a improvement.
But you could just take it out and clean it for free.

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az
I just like the way it looks vs the stock filter,it was worth the 10 bucks for me.
Sorry this is a bit off topic but Randog i ws wondering if you motor seems to load up ot start to flood out when your idling at a stop light with your cnc intake, mine seems to do this, i am very impressed with the performance of the intake it just has a hard time idling when im at a long light, there are no air leaks and it idles really well for a few minutes then tries to die, thanks.

Randog707

Oct 18, 2009
Fairfield,ca
Wes,I"ve not had any problems with Manic's intake,works flawless.Here in Fairfield,ca our stop lights take forever sometimes 10 mins or so,and the bike idles just fine,It seems that the new intake acutally smoothed out my idle making so much better,My first Mb had the problem your having,I found out it was my idle screw was backing out a little as I rode,thus changing air ratio.I added a tiny amout of plummers tape to the treads and its been running great for a year now.I hope you figure it out,that problem can be very anoying.Randy

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
The air filter affects mixture, big time.

The "air" entering a piston ported 2 stroke passes the inlet venturi 3 times before it hits the engine.

Each time it is exposed to fuel from the carburetor.

At different revs the exposure is different, so tuning is difftucult.

Carburetor is the French word for carbonising air.

The best "filter" is a tuned airbox.

It evens out the pulses, making the flow less turbulent.

Then add a tuned pipe to complete the mix.