Shift Kit and 3 speed hubs

GoldenMotor.com

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Ive been looking into a 3 speed hub for one of My bikes, and Have been thinking about a shift kit. I sent Jim at SBP a e-mail his reply was that some had luck with them and some didnt ( there could be many reasons for this) Im just looking for some input on who has used them, had luck,problems, and what type of hubs you used. Thanks in advance!!!
Cheers
Chainmakerdnut

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
I am using a sturmy archer as a jackshaft and has been OK, why not just use a derailer? I think the long term durability would be better.
There are some small parts in the SA that are an issue to me by jumping out and in of 3rd gear, they are alright for pedal power but engine power need beefier stuff.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Im doing a couple 1950's schwinns and this one Id like to keep the clean lines and not go with a derailleur.
cheers

Dec 18, 2009
new jersey
if its jumping in and out of gear, its probably an adjustment issue,but its always worth taking these apart to look, never know what you'll find. my bike mushroomed pawls constantly, the motor had built-in gear-reduction, so the shaft was on the right, and i only needed 1 chain from the motor to the hub, that setup is what killed so many pawls, the jackhammer effect of the engine not being dampened by another chain/jackshaft(kit), the rear sprocket with it's three ears and clip-ring-thing, had slight play(as they all do) and the front sprocket was on a splined shaft that had a little play, all of those things helped to slacken the drivetrain on exhaust-strokes, and slam the pawls into the face of the drum on ignition, about a 100 times each second...something to think about when motorizing any pawl mechanism... i had a couple sturmey archers from different eras on it(whatever i found for free to get it moving again).i could take it's last hub apart to show anyone if they care, the symptoms were starting when i took it off, i know the tips of the pawls will be mashed. i talked about it on another thread, everyone said they've never heard of such pawl/freewheel/hub issues.check out the thread, because a couple different people with shift kits threw in 2 cents, and im hoping to have a change-jar full of people's mechanical cents on shifting. it was utility bikes/shift systems. the other problem i fought was heat, because i welded a big sprocket on the original rear sprocket, and had a small one up front, the gear mechanism that transfers all your power to the hub itself, and rides on the axle(which is hollow, and has two slots that run parallel the axle ...its strength is greatly compromised by heat....) spun WAY faster then it ever should have, and upon taking apart the bike's first hub, found the cage that held the gears was bowed-outwards and had a heat-tint on it, i couldnt believe it held up at all. after that i filled them with gear oil, which leaks out slowly, and is kinda messy, but it was better then cookin them.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I've logged about 4500 miles so far on a 40's Rollfast w/a SBP HD shiftkit runnin' through a Sturmey Archer S30 X-RD3 3-Speed Drum Brake Hub and the hub hasn't given me even the slightest problem... & I'm mebbe not always that nice to it lol

I suspect there's two primary causes for folks to have problems with internally shifted hubs, utilizing older/used, perhaps worn & maladjusted hubs and/or "speedshifting" - not backing off the throttle as it's shifted into another gear...

...but I can't really say as I've only had experience w/the new Sturmey 3sp *shrug* It's treated me really well tho :D

Attachments

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I've logged about 4500 miles so far on a 40's Rollfast w/a SBP HD shiftkit runnin' through a Sturmey Archer S30 X-RD3 3-Speed Drum Brake Hub and the hub hasn't given me even the slightest problem... & I'm mebbe not always that nice to it lol

I suspect there's two primary causes for folks to have problems with internally shifted hubs, utilizing older/used, perhaps worn & maladjusted hubs and/or "speedshifting" - not backing off the throttle as it's shifted into another gear...

...but I can't really say as I've only had experience w/the new Sturmey 3sp *shrug* It's treated me really well tho :D
Thanks BA thats the one Ive been looking at.

Cheers

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I must admit I do kinda wish it was a four speed instead of a three... but that's mostly due to the Rollfast's serious weight issue lol, I've got it geared for acceleration over max speed to help with traffic (getting through a busy intersection from a stop etc.) and all the hills around here *shrug*

Given the ease of changing the jackshaft's gear ratio, it's really not much of a problem & it really depends on yer riding style & bike ;)

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Im not worried about the weight too much the bike is a Panther with in frame tank , but Im a light weight guy. Im sure after the bike gets going Ill mess around with the gearing a bit. I guess thats one positive of all this snow and cold....lots of planning time.
Do you have a link to a 4 speed?
Cheers

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I'm afraid I don't, sorry man - I don't think Sturmey makes 'em... at the time there was some controversy regarding whether or not even a new 3sp would hold up, an additional concern being that the more gears a hub had, the more likely it would have problems due to it's complexity.

So - I opted for the comparatively simple and inexpensive X-RD3 3sp to experiment with, figuring if I blew it up I'd jus' go w/a derailleur & 7sp cassette from a mountain bike. It's been so problem free that in retrospect I kinda wish I'd tried one of their 5sp hubs: Sturmey Archer

but... as far as I'm aware they're untested w/a shiftkit so I dunno if they'd hold up as well & I can't bring myself to replace the trusty X-RD3 in any case :p

BTW, the X-RD3 has a 70mm drum brake, the XL-RD3 has a 90mm - if yer gonna try one, I'd opt for the bigger brake ;)

mdlee1958

Feb 22, 2009
Fort Collins, Colorado
Niagra has XRD-5's currently for sale at about 113 I just used an XRD-8 on my latest build and it is a shifter.Runs great right up to the point that the condenser and points blew.Last summer I built a 4 stroke shifter using an XRD-3 and it runs very reliably.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I did buy the X-RD8 shipped it was 139.00 shipped. Cant wait to get going on this build its turning into My dream bike. Once the frame and tank are finished Ill start a build thread.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
You guys have really got me thinking about shifter kits again!!!
I was just looking at the Sturmey X-RK8 (8-speed/ disc brake), & thinking about adding a giant rotor & hydraulic brakes!!

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
You can probabally get away with it....you sell them, I dont know how Im going get another one past the misses after this one.

Cheers

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I dont know how Im going get another one past the misses after this one.

Cheers

Just sell your first one & show the 'ol lady that you made a little proffit. (That's how I first started!) ;)

I bought a HD shift kit last night, & I have a best offer on the hub right now... So lets see how this goes? (^)

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
WHAT SELL MY BIKE ??? Maybe Ill put the stock forks back on it and some decent wheels and give it a try... You Never know. What drum did you go with ? The shift kit is the last major thing I have to get for the Panther and few thing of for Hers. I got in touch with that seller and she changed the shipping address to Yours.