Anybody know Con-Rod size for Lifan a 2.8 98cc ??

GoldenMotor.com

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I need a Billet Rod for a 98cc Lifan 2.8. Mine just decided to snap in half for no good reason other than being "Made in China". :-||

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
You will not find one... Sorry to break the bad news. You should jus put a honda 120ccc in that bike, they make hi-po parts for that engine.
Not even a Honda equivalent? That sucks. Honda 120 it is. My old Huasheng is also sitting on a shelf ready to go.Funny thing is that I never went any faster on the 98cc than I did on the 49cc. It was smoother but not any faster.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Those motors u are using are junk, the Honda 120 will make you a happy reliable person.
LOL When you live in California your options are severely limited for a vertical head motor that will fit a Felt, unless you spend crazy money for a Honda.

Any other state and there's all kind of options. Not here. We are all damned. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Those motors u are using are junk, the Honda 120 will make you a happy reliable person.
IT"S ALIVE! MY JUNK IS ALIVE! Everything is intact and in one piece. Crank case is missing at least half it's oil after changing it only 8 engine hours ago. One of the connecting rod bolts came unscrewed and the rod lost connection with the crankshaft. I'm just not sure why yet. LOL

dance1.wee.usflg

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
One of the bolts that holds the rod to the crank had a couple of thread shavings on it and so that bolt decided to take a hot oil bath in the bottom of my crankcase while I was riding it. That quickly led to the other bolt coming half way out to join his partner in the oil bath and that was the clackety clack sound I heard. I replaced the bolt that stripped out the rod with a slightly longer bolt that digs deeper into the rod past the stripped out threaded area. I also Loctite Red both bolts.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
really...it'll need resizing at the least after that mishap. I think you may wanna look for a replacement engine.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
really...it'll need resizing at the least after that mishap. I think you may wanna look for a replacement engine.
Wow. You based your assumptions/hunches/guesses on what exactly? That's quite an assessment you just made without seeing any pics or, or seeing/starting/riding the engine after the fact. LOL

How are you gonna feel about your assesment if I tell you my engine has never ridden better and it actually is faster and smoother than it has ever been before?

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Anybody else on here riding on any other 2 or 4 stroke motor that was "Made in China" and feel that their engine special is somehow immune from this happening to them because theirs was made in a better part of China, than my engine was, need ask themselves only one thing. How lucky do you feel? Because that may be the only thing that is holding your con-rod to the crankshaft. LOL

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Wow. You based your assumptions/hunches/guesses on what exactly? That's quite an assessment you just made without seeing any pics or, or seeing/starting/riding the engine after the fact. LOL

How are you gonna feel about your assesment if I tell you my engine has never ridden better and it actually is faster and smoother than it has ever been before?
Ill feel the same no matter how well or bad your engine runs.......I based it on you said it loosened and you heard the banging....That knocking was the crank journal pounding away on the big end of the rod...It has to have done something...maybe not enough to worry you but trust this....If you heard it it was banging........like a baseball player inside a garbage can swinging away with a steel bat.
alot of things run damaged...if youre happy with it, thats cool too.
and BTW...the only way that can be smoother than it ever was.is to have been loose from the get go.
I have a great idea for you too....if you think it makes better power after that episode and runs a little smoother........why dont you loosen it up for a spell and get more improvements....cvlt1

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Ill feel the same no matter how well or bad your engine runs.......I based it on you said it loosened and you heard the banging....That knocking was the crank journal pounding away on the big end of the rod...It has to have done something...maybe not enough to worry you but trust this....If you heard it it was banging........like a baseball player inside a garbage can swinging away with a steel bat.
and BTW...the only way that can be smoother than it ever was.is to have been loose from the get go.
I have a great idea for you too....if you think it makes better power after that episode and runs a little smoother........why dont you loosen it up for a spell and get more improvements....cvlt1
LMAO The question is how long was I riding with it loose like that? Maybe you could tell me?

It was a low speed event and the engine was immediately shut off. The inside of the crankcase was spotless. There were no marks, no scratches, no chips.....nothing. Hearing "banging" means nothing if the RPMS are low and length of banging is short lived.

I sure hope you dont go looking for a new car engine when your car only needs a simple tune up because you hear some knocking or pinging coming from it. That could be quite costly for you.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
There's also no shortage of brand new parts for the DB30. No need to go replacing an entire engine when a new con-rod costs a wallet shattering $12 right?

http://www.scooterparts4less.com/Baja_Doodle_Bug_Parts.htm

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
You've convinced yourself a knocking rod is okay....cool
It's not knocking anymore and I made zero improvements to the engine. I simply re-tightened the bolts holding it together and added Loctite because the engine was Made in China with inferior metal and they simply don't test the engine or care if it holds up for any length of time. I do the exact same thing with all the bolts holding any Chinese made engine together. I don't consider that an improvement, the Chinese might consider it an improvement. I however do not. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Call me a radical anarchist, but when you buy an engine, regardless of it's size, # of cylinders, displacement, # of strokes, the engine buyer should be reasonably assured that all the nuts and bolts holding it together are gonna continue to keep holding it together, once the engine is running, WITHOUT ANY OTHER OWNER INTERVENTION. At one time in engine manufacturing that was the case, however now that is no longer the case. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Well I took the bike out and the engine starts, idles and accelerates fine but there is this obnoxious harmonic rattle (metal hitting metal) at idle that fades in and fades out like something is loose.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
I think you do have increased clearance on your big end bearing Mike. What is happening as the revs increase is that more oil is finding it's way into the big end bearing and acting as a cushion. At idle lubrication is less which causes the intermittent sound you are hearing. My first car, a very old Austin, would do this and when I eventually replaced the engine for a later model one I tore down the old engine and found the bearing clearances were well out on the wide side.
The thing is that old Austin motor was absolutely free reving due to all the slop in the bearings and the car could still reach it's factory spec top speed despite having badly worn cylinder bores, but the risk that I might've thrown a rod or two was very real.

I think it might be a good idea to spend that $12.00 and buy a new conrod before something nasty happens.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I think you do have increased clearance on your big end bearing Mike. What is happening as the revs increase is that more oil is finding it's way into the big end bearing and acting as a cushion. At idle lubrication is less which causes the intermittent sound you are hearing. My first car, a very old Austin, would do this and when I eventually replaced the engine for a later model one I tore down the old engine and found the bearing clearances were well out on the wide side.
The thing is that old Austin motor was absolutely free reving due to all the slop in the bearings and the car could still reach it's factory spec top speed despite having badly worn cylinder bores, but the risk that I might've thrown a rod or two was very real.

I think it might be a good idea to spend that $12.00 and buy a new conrod before something nasty happens.
You may be right. I can't say I'm use to engine issues......of any kind. I abused and neglected my 49cc Huasheng to no end and it just kept on going. It just might be called back into action. It's just sitting on the shelf looking at me saying, I told you so. LOL