Having trouble getting bike running after 2yr storage

GoldenMotor.com

Watts

Mar 22, 2010
Ontario
Still running on my old 80cc gas chopper, has it in storage for a couple years. Now trying to start it and I am having issues.

-I replaced the magneto recently, cleaned the whole carb (needle, float bown, carb etc)
-I cleaned gas tank and fuel filter and put in new gas / oil.
-The throttle assembly seems fine as it lifts the needle when the gas / hand grip is turned

When i go to start the bike I can hear the engine is chugging and trying to start, but nothing. I adjust the air valve and adjust the carb hole setting to allow air in. The bike wont startup, and the float bowl is filling up with gas and leaking out the back of the filter.

I am going to try and clean the carb, needle etc again, any other good advice would be appreciated as I am a bit rusty with my knowledge as its been a couple years. My next option after that is to replace the CDI and or spark plug, but want to make sure gas is getting into the engine first.

Thanks for any help or advice provided!!

Last edited:

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Welcome back to the forum.

Kill switch may have become corroded after sitting for 2 years - disconnect the switch.

Gas cap vent plugged from sitting? Remove cap to see if it will start.

Magneto coil or magneto rotor was replaced. Why?

Why not check for spark? It's a simple test and your problem might be spark related and not fuel related.

Did you replace the China made spark plug wire and spark plug?

Here's 2 guides that may hep you with trouble-shooting:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aBeJuoS--VQWwXysc07rpscTUbPzgc93xjiQBgsyFjc/edit

http://www.grubeeinc.com/USA/2 cycle engine trouble shooting guide.html

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Watts

Mar 22, 2010
Ontario
Im gonna to try to test for a spark as I have this feeling that it is electrical related issue. Over the years of owning this bike I have replaced the magneto once a year, it seems the magneto gets "burned out", even with proper cocking around the housing to keep moisture out.

So when the bike wont start I assume its a magneto issue and go buy a new one and 2 out of 3 times it has fixed the issue ($30 is better than 10hrs wasted). This time I bought another magneto and it did NOT fix the problem. I am really hoping its not my CDI, but I do have 2 CDI's both the original china ones, as well as 2 extra spark plugs (nothing fancy).

Having some issues with my clutch, seems like the pin where the clutch arm pushes in has worn a bit, any recommended replacement / fix options (I have already flipped the pin around and both ends are worn a bit.

Also any recommended CDI / Magneto's other than those included in the china kits. Im at the point I have spent 12 hours with no success and keep running into electrical issues and using an ohm meter to test the CDI and Magneto are foreign to me, I have tried but seems to be a tedious and difficult thing to do to determine if the mag or cdi are bad. Know any easy ways?

Cleaned the carb, inlet needle etc again and still the float bowl is flooding.:-||

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
is your float level set correctly, is the float sinking due a leak that has allowed gas inside it?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
just recalled the obvious - with the carb overflowing, your cases may be full of fuel which will make it REAL hard to start

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I adjust the air valve and adjust the carb hole setting to allow air in. The bike wont startup, and the float bowl is filling up with gas and leaking out the back of the filter.
I have no idea what 'air valve' or 'carb hole setting' you adjusted is but your float needs adjusting, chances are the fuel metering needle is just stuck open with lacquered old gas.

Pull your carb off so you can adjust the float and while the carb is off pull your plug and then pedal the bike with the clutch out up the street and back to blow out any crap in the crank case.

Note that many a starting problem can be solved by just pulling the plug and not giving it any gas as you pedal it around some even with the carb still on, with the clutch out of course so the motor turns over.

If you leave your plug attached to the plug wire you can reach down and grab the plug while pedaling and ground it to the frame or motor, if you get a shock your ignition is fine ;-}

For storage over a month drain your gas tank then run the bike until it's out of gas and dies, and it wouldn't hurt to pull the plug and do the above as well just so old gas won't settle in the crank case, just put the plug back in so nothing gets in your cylinder ;-}

Last edited:

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
I just started my 48cc after sitting for 9 years in the shed. Did what you did with the carb. Couldn't get it to fire, so I pushed on the kill switch several times times while peddling and behold the darn thing fired up even with the old plug and wire. I am sure the contacts are corroded on the kill switch.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Watts

Mar 22, 2010
Ontario
Some great ideas, thanks for the info...I am going to try a few of those steps out. To KCVale, I am pretty sure I am unable to pedal the bike when the clutch is out, I have the pull the clutch to be able to pedal the bike....does this sound right? Thanks!

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
he means to pedal it with the spark plug out so the motor turns easily and can dry out a bit

Watts

Mar 22, 2010
Ontario
I swapped the CDI, tried again and started to hear the engine firing up a bit more but still leaking gas from float bowl. So i took out spark plug and cycled bike for a few hundred meters to dry out...going try again soon. Seems gasd issue, needlee is clean float bowl clip is bent down a bit and float is clean

Watts

Mar 22, 2010
Ontario
I think I may also clip snip the wire end connectors on the cdi and mag and just twist together and cap off, may give me a more direct current as I hear many say the clips are usless, I should invest in a proper spark plug as well sometime soon...but getting parts in Ontario Canada for these things is difficult