'The Beast' Scooterized

GoldenMotor.com

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Well, I thought the front fork would fit both the band brake & freewheel but they wont fit. I was contemplating doing just a rear drive, but that would be too 'normal'. I mounted the front freewheel to proceed with the front engine drivetrain & will have to fab a piece of angle aluminum to mount v-brake posts & calipers for front wheel stopping duties.
Funny how things change as you go...?
-Lowracer-

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Shucks. I thought you had the front drive and brake in.

Do you have room for a band brake and a siamesed rim option you had previously used for belt drive on another project?

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I had them both on there while 'roughed in' with a little clearance, but it wasn't bolted together. What's more important front brakes or front engine?...lol
There is enough room for the rim-to-rim pulley system, but it doesn't freewheel :(
-Lowracer-

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I had them both on there while 'roughed in' with a little clearance, but it wasn't bolted together. What's more important front brakes or front engine?...lol
There is enough room for the rim-to-rim pulley system, but it doesn't freewheel :(
-Lowracer-
lol, the clutch "freewheels".

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I put plyers in my bag on my occ to remove the engine chain because pedaling against the wet centrifugal clutch through the motor gearing was a huge workout for sure! The drag is pretty big if you have gear reduction in between the sprocket and the clutch.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
5-7,
Ever try pedalling a bike with a 'freewheeling clutch'?
Its such a drag...
lol
LOL, actually I do.laff

The drag on my bike is so light that a child could turn the pedals with one arm (with rear wheel off the ground). I have an 8-speed shift kit, so in 1st gear on flat ground, it feels like the chain fell off.

In any gear, it feels less strenuous, since the chainring sprocket is only 24-tooth.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I got a little more done today on the front engine mount. I still need to brace the front of the rack with some triangulation.
I got the transmission mounted so the engine will have about a half an inch of clearance from the fork. The sprocket is perfectly aligned with the freewheel sprocket so the chain will stay on.
Here are a few pics
-Lowracer-

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Today I was able to put a few more hours into the bike.
I got the front engine rack completed & the engine mounted.
I'll still need to figure out a derailleur mounting point for proper chain management (chainline & tension).
Here are a few pics
-Lowracer-

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
'The Beast Scooter'

I got some more work done on 'The Beast Scooter' today after my 40 mile road ride (on my pedal only bicycle).
I got the rear rack mostly built (gonna do some triangulated bracing) and mounted the engine and transmission. I have two new matching Mitsubishi 43cc engines that have nice power and are quiet. Here are a few pics of the progress.
-Lowracer-

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
16V,
Offroad capable would be cool too.
Today its raining here, so I can spend a few hours in the garage working on this scooter instead of road biking with a group.
I want to finish the rear bracing, additional front fork brace, & maybe install the floorboard mount. I bought a few bars of 3/16" steel yesterday & will definitely have enough to complete this project.
-Lowracer-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Ok, Today I got alot done on The Beast Scooter & its still raining...
I installed another front rack brace which doubles as the rear derailleur mount for proper chain tension, routing and alignment. I also installed a rear brace (for same reasons as front). I got the chains both cut & installed. I still need to work on the floorboard, brake cables, soldering throttle cables, additional third point for engine bracing, and finally hair spraying on the foam grips.
I got it geared 12/27 front and 10/18 rear.
That should get me underway under both engine power to 25-28 mph in a hurry, & then rear engine only up to 31-35 mph for cruising.
I may still play with the gearing some, but until I can test it out I'll run with that.
Here are the latest pics.
-Lowracer-

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I went back to work on it some more last night & the weather dried up. I got it complete enough to take it for a test drive. My Harbor Freight reciprocating saw burned out (2nd one to burn out in a month). I wont be buying anymore power tools from Harbor Freight. I had to hack saw a few pieces of thick angle iron by hand (what a work out!). I still need to finish the wooden Goped deck floorboard (stood on a piece of angle iron for the test drive) & triple brace the transmission/engine mounts but thats about all.
How did it ride?
Awesome!
The dual engine 2 wheel drive gets going in a hurry & handles very well. The dual freewheel aspect allow one or both engines to pull at any given speed.
When one engine is throttled down, that engine just happily idles.
It can be ridden with just one engine started (either one).
From a dead stop, pulling both throttles (canti brake levers), this thing pulls hard and fast up to max (I didnt run it WOT for very long since the front engine is brand new on its first tank of fuel).
This thing should be fun to cruise around on and is suprisingly quiet, especially compared to my twin pocketbike Cag engine bike I experimented with awhile ago.
I'll post more pics once everything is complete.
-Lowracer-

Mar 31, 2013
RI
I went back to work on it some more last night & the weather dried up. I got it complete enough to take it for a test drive. My Harbor Freight reciprocating saw burned out (2nd one to burn out in a month). I wont be buying anymore power tools from Harbor Freight. I had to hack saw a few pieces of thick angle iron by hand (what a work out!).
-Lowracer-
...i think maybe your problem is that the reciprocating saw is the wrong tool for the job and not just that it's a cheap tool.

...the next time you need to cut angle iron, or flat metal stock for that matter, you might could try a grinder with a cutting wheel instead of a reciprocating saw.

4-1/2" Heavy Duty Angle Grinder

peace, bozo

Attachments