Torquer II pipe

GoldenMotor.com

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
Ive been running the torquer 2 pipe for over a week now. I can say this: it is quiet, not as quiet as stock, but much more power. Also, it looks super cool.

I wrapped the whole pipe in header wrap. Then i figured out why its called header wrap. It would not stay on the expansion chamber part of the pipe. I noticed that the header is the hottest part of the exhaust.

so as the wrap crept off the pipe i just left it off. I always ride in pants anyway, and i haven't burned myself yet on the chamber which is the part close to my leg in normal bike motions. So i hope this helps someone who is on the fence about buying this style pipe or using header wrap all willy nilly, like i was. I noticed on the venice om flyer bike the expansion chamber comes up right by your leg. I guess that I could have deduced that from that style of pipe. I sure wonder if a chamber that big could do anything for a piddly old 50cc like what i have.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The best way to apply header wrap is to soak it in water overnight before you apply it, Use good stainless wire to secure the ends and install the pipe on the engine. Start it up and go for a nice long ride to cure and set the wrap. Be careful not to disturb it until it is set and it will stay on better. It will not stand up to daily rubbing without some kind of fixative or spray glue and I'm not aware of anything that will take exhaust heat without burning off, so you might need to build some kind of guard to keep your leg off the wrap. You could try several thick coats of grill paint to secure the wrap, curing between coats to see if that will glue it solid.
Also be aware header wrap can cause serious exhaust system rust problems if you ride in the wet.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Sounds a lot like wrapping the handlebars on a road bike. We tape down one end and secure the other end with the handlebar plugs. Otherwise, the bar tape unravels during the first climb.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
@graydog, pics of the pipe? I'm trying to get a feel on a few diferent pipes...this is one of my choices and am glad to hear positives and negatives...

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
nope. i rode it for 30 minutes and it doesnt get hot enough to burn me through jeans. the most heat is disappated at the smaller header section and the heat lessens as the pressure drops in the pipe at the expanded x chamber portion. I dont have a laser thermometer to back me up, but i can attest that, after the header wrap fell off the center section of that pipe i touched ti a few times with my hand, and it wasnt hot enough to burn me

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
use high temp silicone spray, spray your pipe first with it, then wrap the header wrap around the pipe, then spray it again. if you buy a header wrap kit it comes with the spray and stainless steel friction ties.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i wrap my pipes by starting with a "tail," that goes up the pipe a few inches, then overlapping it so you don't need a clamp on that end.

usually hose clamp the other end or make something custom.

i've wrapped chambers before, and haven't had them unravel, but it needs to be tight and on 1" wide wrap, my overlap is more than half the width.

a cool trick i came up with to keep the cut ends from fraying, is to squirt a 1/4" line of krazy glue across the wrap, enough so it soaks all the way through, let it dry and cut it with some good scissors.

krazy glue also works if you get little frayed areas, too.

oh. and wear gloves when wrapping it up!