Aligning sprockets...

GoldenMotor.com

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
I did a quick search and could not find anything on this.What is the best way to align the motor sprocket with the rear sprocket?
Is there any kind of adjustment other than the rubber cush ride rings if they dont line up?
I noticed there was a thread that said to put the rear sprocket on first.

Thanks guys!!

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
On what? ht? 4 stroke?
The chinagirls have a dished sprocket you can use to adjust chainline. Stand behind it and sight or use a long straightedge.

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
On a 2 stroke,,
The dished sprocket looks like it only goes on one way,,I dont understand what you mean sir.The bolts tighten up and squish the rubber,,maybe by adding or removing the rubber rings?
Sorry for the stupid question,,just have not got my kit yet and was curious.

Thanks Tom!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
A straight edge laid against both sprockets. It must touch the sprockets at two places, front and rear.
In other words imagine a straight line with the edges of the sprockets exactly parallel to the line. If the sprockets do not touch the line at two places they are not aligned.

I use a 24" piece of extruded aluminum 'C' channel 3/8" wide and clamp it to the rear sprocket then the goal is to get the straight edge to lay flat against the engine drive sprocket. Whatever it takes to get the two sprockets aligned is what you have to do.

If the engine is mounted absolutely perpendicular and parallel to the frame centerline, and you're sure it is, then you'll have to do whatever is necessary to get the rear wheel/sprocket located so the straight edge touches both sprockets at two places.

Tom

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
Ok,,
So i have to do whatever is necessary,,just was not sure if there was some adjustment,I dont here this topic talked about to often so I assume they all pretty much line up out of the box.BTW-I am familiar with the straight edge technique you mentioned.I guess If the sprockets dont line up on a build,,one could elongate the motor mount slots for a side to side adjustment,or build a custom adjustable mount.

Thanks for the info.

Tom :)